Logo

Inherited boat question

cbhuff

Hello all,

I have inherited a 15ft eldocraft aluminum bass boat with a 2stroke 40hp Mercury Thunderbolt ignition that I am in the process of trying to restore. The boat has sat for probably 10 years, and supposedly ran fine when it was last parked. How much trouble would it be to get the engine up and running, or is this something I should just take it up to the marina where the boat was purchased and have them go over it? The motor doesn't turn with the steering wheel so I'm assuming the steering rod may be seized and/or rusted steering cables? I haven't tried to do anything else with the motor though, I've just been stripping the boat of carpet and such.

You need to disconnect the steering at the engine and determine if it's the cable or the pivot withiin the mid section of the engine at fault.

Replacement items:
The rubber "impeller" inside the water pump located in the lower unit definitely along with fresh lower unit oil and seals on the drain and vent screws.
The fuel lines including the line to the engine with the squeeze bulb are a must along with fuel filter and new kits in the carburetors and fuel pump.
A service manual is a must and an OEM seems to be the most informative. If you can't find one here, ebay is where I find a good supply.
Fresh fuel and you need to determine if the engine is self oiling (an on engine tank is your first clue) or if you have to "pre-mix" 1 part TC-W3 (Two Cycle-Water Craft 3rd iteration) oil to 50 parts gas....1 pt. to 6 gallons. Walmart carries Pennzoil Premium....great oil and good price...in the sporting goods section.
Questions are always welcomed on here when you get stuck and no question is stupid!!!!!

Last edited:
Back