Logo

Infrared Thermometer, Temperature Gun, a Must Have Tool

Klink

Regular Contributor
Your outboard motor peeing great just means your water pump is working well, it does not mean your engine is being cooled, as the stream comes out before it reaches the cylinder head. Here in Florida, 80% of the used outboards I have bought had clogged cylinder head water passages, some totally clogged closed! Do yourself a favor and get yourself an infrared thermometer, like this one (I have the identical model), and check every spot you can reach. If it overheats, you will have to take the heads off and clean them.
https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...5625574&sr=1-1

81qA1ElbNxL__SL1500_.jpg

Yes, you can use a general-purpose medical infrared thermometer to measure human-forehead temperature. Significant changes in the recording of human body temperature have been taking place worldwide in recent years. Human body temperature is well established as one of the critical vital signs. It is measured at regular intervals in the medical setting and often at home to estimate the degree of “sickness” of an individual. It had been used since antiquity, yet its interpretation has been actively debated in the clinical setting. About this, I read on https://dunbarmedical.com/products/...ometer/irt-1603-digital-infrared-thermometer/.

Excellent. There are many applications for an infrared gun. I use for cooking/frying, even testing thermostats. My son uses for chemistry when making rocket fuels. They are so very handy as a diagnostics tool overall. I also use for welding..... particularly cast iron.

Last edited:
I bought one a couple of weeks ago, believe it or not, for checking the temperature of the cooling systems. Today I found another use.....checking which cylinder isn't firing.
Just aim the ray gun at the head and the coolest one wins the cigar. Job done in seconds.

How bout this manifold.....pretty handy? The coals clear oxygen too....weld right in place above the coals.

Attachments

• IMG_20201104_142654427_compress46.jpg
    IMG_20201104_142654427_compress46.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 23
Back