Logo

Inconsistent Shifting Problem

Jeff88

1987 165 mercruiser, Aplha 1, Gen 1

Couple weeks ago I took a hard hit on the prop/skeg. I was powering up from a crawl, hit a rock, banged up the prop, broke off most of the skeg.
when it hit, it seemed to disengage from gear, but after powering back down, it re-engaged fine. There was no visible damage to the gear case, so I just put on my spare prop., and everything seemed ok.

I used the boat for the next two days, everything worked ok. Then the shifting started acting up.
It seemd like it became way out of adjustment. First it seemed to get stuck in reverse, trouble getting it to shift into forward, then finally couldn't shift into forward at all. It would shift into reverse, but difficult to get out of reverse.
Tried pulling off the lower cable from the shifting bracket and shifting manually (while docked), but had the same symptoms.
Finally had to pull the boat out.

I was convinced that the lower unit was damaged, so I bought a used unit and installed it.
Out of the water, while running, it seemed to shift ok. Tonight I put it in the water for a test run, and found I had not solved it.
Initially it shifted ok, but then the same symptoms returned.
The shifting became way out of wack, and ultimately would struggle to go into forward, and would struggle to get out of reverse.

When installing the lower unit, I did not see any damage to the upper to lower shifter connection, and I'm certain I had it properly aligned when I installed it.

Could I have pulled something loose in the shifting system (cable connection, some other component?) or is there some other common failure that I am overlooking?

Unfortunately I do not think myself or many others can help with this one.

I feel this needs hands on attention to visually see and measure items and feel what is going on.

The list of things to check is many and without bing there it is tough to say.

My suspision is you damaged the cable (cable end) or associated linkage at the gimbal housing when you hit. If you hit hard enough to break the skeg and the prop there is more damage somewhere....

Remove the whole outdrive and inspect all the linkages and the cable end. The cable end should ALMOST but not quite tight and just spin. look at the bell crank and make sure the little wheel is all there and round and moves freely with and without the cable end moving it.

"""The shifting became way out of wack, and ultimately would struggle to go into forward, and would struggle to get out of reverse."""

look at the bottom of the gimbal housing where the U shaped end fits over the bronze shift arm at the lower unit ans see if you have too much play/slop. There should be no more than 1/16" slop/play. If it is sloppy get a pair of pliers and sqeeze it tight!!

Also one other thought, Seen it before, the bronze shift arm that engages/sits on top of the splined shift shaft the comes out of the lower unit. it is held in place with a cotter pin, it MUST be straight, if it is bent this could also cause a shifting issue.......

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I will be pulling it apart again later today.

It sounds like I should have a Shift Cable Kit on hand ?

Also, do you know if the bell crank / wheel you mentioned is readily available as a part?

Yes it is but I would not get a cable yet.

Carefully examine the parts first before spending money.......

Look at what I suggested first........

with your problem from the beginning the lower unit total unit , should have been removed . then check your cable, bell housing ,bellows , water intrusion...

if you cannot get it into fwd getting it off will be a problem..

If insured, did you file a claim w/your insurance co.? Underwater collisions are usually covered minus deductible.

Dammmm.....
Never considered my insurance coverage. I should have just dropped the boat off at the local shop and let them figure it out. It would have cost me no more money and a lot less time.
But then I would have missed out on all the fun of figuring it out !

Problem solved !
The shifter cable casing was broke off at the brass threaded end piece.
Looks like it was corroded, and apparently the shock of the crash finished it off.
A new cable assy. and some minor adjusting, and is shifts better than ever before.

Thanks for your suggestions !

Back