Logo

Impeller replacement - New to Boating - 1992 Johnson 90

Gshafer

Folks,
I am new to boating and recently purchased a 1992 Alumnicraft w/ J90TLAND outboard which is not cycling water out of the water exit port.
I ordered a kit to rebuild the impeller and have not been able to remove the lower unit.

I removed 5 bolts but something seems to be holding the very back of the unit in place.
A video I watched indicated disconnecting a line or pipe located behind the water intake. My engine does not seem to be a way to remove the water intake screens. Am I missing something?
Need to know I am on the right path before I use the hammer. :)

George

You have to remove the trim tab to find a hidden bolt.----And you have to disconnect the shift rod.------If you have not disconnected the shift rod put one of the 4 bolts back in and ask how to proceed.

Thanks racerone!! found the hidden bolt but the unit only dropped 1 inch then stuck again. Where is the shift rod disconnect?
On other videos it seemed to be behind the water intake but not so in this case.
Move the shifter?

Thanks racerone!! found the hidden bolt but the unit only dropped 1 inch then stuck again. Where is the shift rod disconnect?
On other videos it seemed to be behind the water intake but not so in this case.
Move the shifter?
Shift linkage is under the carburetors.

The shift disconnect has never been around the water intake on a V-4.-----Stop , STOP -----Put one of the 4 bolts back in.----Put control in neutral.-----Disconnect / remove shift cable at the motor.----Remove the hitch pin on lever that goes under the bottom carburetor.-----Now push that same lever fully to the port side and rotate that lever.-----Shift rod is now disconnected.----Very easy.

Thanks racerone, finally got it off. The rod was stuck to the port side of the shift lever...
The impeller looks fairly new. Hope the new one fixes the issue. Will mess with it tomorrow.

Thanks again.

I just bought the boat and noticed there is no water coming out of the port when running. I have not yet put it in the water but did use a tub to check the impeller function. Tub water was filled over the inlets. I ran it for about 30 seconds then shut it off.

LOL, so I may not have a problem?
If the 8" above the impeller is true, how does the motor flushing tool work? Forces the water through the system?

Well if I don't screw anything up I should be in business..

??----Many folks are baffled by these simple pumps.----The pump is not self priming.----Therefor the impeller must be submerged !

Back