Logo

Impeller problems

hingeman

I have a 1999 Bayliner 5.0 with a Bravo 1, gen. 2 sterndrive with only 50 hours on it. I just bought it from my late brothers estate and there were no records kept so to be safe, I replaced the impeller. The boat was kept in the garage and looks like new but looks can be deceiving because I've already had to rebuild the carburetor because of ethanol. The book says to spin the prop clockwise to spin the shaft when putting back together so the splines line up but when I spin the prop, the shaft doesn't move. The shifter lever is facing forward and when I spin the prop the shift lever clicks to the left and then faces forward again and the shaft doesn't move. Am I doing something wrong? As you can tell, I'm new to inboard outboards. Thanks for the help. Scott

Ayuh,.... Sounds like ya got an Alpha, Gen.II, not a Bravo,....

Turn the prop the other way,...

No, when the lower unit is in fwd gear the shift shaft is in a straight line, you turn the prop CCW about a inch to turn the driveshaft to line the splines up.
Are you install the complete drive as a unit or just the lower unit?

Thanks Bondo and Bt Doctur, You are correct in both parts. It is an Alpha and I did have to turn it the other way. It goes together a lot easier when the splines line up. The other thing was I was trying to stab the water tube without taking it apart in the middle at the coupling. Much easier that way. Now to go back to the carburetor/fuel issues and see what happens. Thanks again for your help! Scott

Back