Logo

Ignition coil issue - 1974 Evinrude 9.9

Kurtbag16

I am new to this forum and self-taught/new with outboard repairs. Last year I replaced both ignition coils on my Evinrude when I found that one cylinder wasn't firing (spark plugs were new and one was consistently not getting spark). After I replaced the coils (with BRP coils), both cylinders were firing and the motor worked great for about 2 months. Then the same cylinder seemed to quit (while running, I got shocked after touching the boot of the non-firing spark plug). I took the multi-meter to the motor this spring and found that the spark-plug leads were good, but both coils had output resistance that was below what I found posted for spec (supposed to be 200-400ohms but found one to be 12 ohms and the other, bad coil, to be 6 ohms). The resistance on the primaries for the coils seemed to be good (1.1 ohms each). I couldn't figure out how to test the trigger or stator on my model of Evinrude, but I found that when I switched the connections from the magneto to the coils, the same coil was consistently bad, which I believe means that the problem is isolated to the coil.

My questions are:
1) why would my new coil resistances be below spec?
2) why is one coil half the resistance of the other?
3) what would cause a new coil to die within a few months?

I am new to this forum and self-taught/new with outboard repairs. Last year I replaced both ignition coils on my Evinrude when I found that one cylinder wasn't firing (spark plugs were new and one was consistently not getting spark). After I replaced the coils (with BRP coils), both cylinders were firing and the motor worked great for about 2 months. Then the same cylinder seemed to quit (while running, I got shocked after touching the boot of the non-firing spark plug). I took the multi-meter to the motor this spring and found that the spark-plug leads were good, but both coils had output resistance that was below what I found posted for spec (supposed to be 200-400ohms but found one to be 12 ohms and the other, bad coil, to be 6 ohms). The resistance on the primaries for the coils seemed to be good (1.1 ohms each). I couldn't figure out how to test the trigger or stator on my model of Evinrude, but I found that when I switched the connections from the magneto to the coils, the same coil was consistently bad, which I believe means that the problem is isolated to the coil.

My questions are:
1) why would my new coil resistances be below spec?
2) why is one coil half the resistance of the other?
3) what would cause a new coil to die within a few months?
I should specify, that the coils were both on and off the engine when I tested them.

Back