Logo

Ignition coil and ballast resistor info

Clydemantwo

I have a 19' Bayliner with a AQ125 4 cyl. that I bought with a ignition problem. The ignition coil was replaced along with the points and condenser by the previous owner, because they were "used up", he was a blank!. First trip to the lake(I live in AZ) every thing was great but on the top end after about 5 minutes we started losing the plane, seemed like the motor got weak, no skipping, wheezing or anything just like it got weak. Slowed the throttle and it seemed better for a few minuets then stalled, again, no missing. Restarted in two cranks, good to only to repeat. Pulled the cover and felt the coil, way to hot to even get close to,water temp gauge was ok, no excessive engine heat.Points gapped correctly, but I didn't check it for spark. The accelrator pump showed fuel squirting so that was out. Hard to start so I let it sit for a few minutes and it started right up. Nursed it back to shore at a fast idle, almost a hour, with the engine cover off, it only stalled once but started again in a few minutes . I belive the coil is overheating because of incorrect wiring(ballested or ?, wrong ohm coil for 4 cyl?) I need to know what the correct ohms for the OEM coil are so i can check this generic coil or replace it. Is the ballast resister inline or should there be one mounted somewhere. I have a Seloc manual but the wiring and info is very poor. Is there a wiring diagram with this info anywhere? I bought it cheap so I new it would be a challange. If I missed a thread with this info could someone direct me to it.
It's gettin hot here in AZ, gotta get back to the Lake soon!
Thanks, Clydeman

I am having a very similar problem, although the previous owner of my boat installed a pertronix electronic ignition. When cold, the engine fires up before I can even hear the starter. After idling around slow the engine will die and it will take a 45 minute rest before it starts. I got information that the four cylinder engine needs 3 ohm resistance. I can't find a 3 ohm coil to save my life. No where is a manufacturer or model number listed. Pertonix makes one, but I had hoped to find one at a car parts store so I could avoid the shipping delay.

Anyway, best of luck and I will be monitoring your thread to see what you get.

Here's some info for a 3 ohm coil, with a Napa part #. Napa online has a few to chose from. I'm still wondering if there is a resister in line or a ballest somewhere.

That's great and it was a straight forward fix as opposed to a lot of engine work.
My buddy bought a new coil from the Marine store and a new condenser, neither of which was in stock.(his contibution he says) The coil turns out to be a Bosch, I put the ohm meter on it and it read 3.2. The old condenser was badly corroded so replacincing it was good also. I found the ballast resistor, I think, it comes off the altenator wire that feeds the coil, purple color. I measured the voltage, 12.3, so mayby it is a static noise suppreser? There is a electric fuel pump on the engine cowling across from the carb, Edelbrock, is this a replacement for a factory pump? There is a ground and hot wire there. It's wired on a toggle on the dash.
Anyhow, after changing the parts and a short blast from the electric fuel pump it started right up continuisly. It's 40 miles to the Lake so I'll post the results. We will set the timing when she's in the water.

Back