Logo

Idle and timing adjustment 1992 Evinrude 88 hp

denebach

I cannot get the engine to idle speed by setting the timing to the correct setting. It should be about 24 deg. (28 deg full throttle) but will only idle down at 16 deg. I have maxed the throttle linkage. Is that a problem?

Sorry ---Careful if you start adjusting linkages.----Timing does not go out of adjustment on these engines.----Unless the flywheel key is sheared.-----The first thing to do on one of those engines is a compression test.----Post the actual values here.-----How did this motor run for you last season ?

Sorry ---Careful if you start adjusting linkages.----Timing does not go out of adjustment on these engines.----Unless the flywheel key is sheared.-----The first thing to do on one of those engines is a compression test.----Post the actual values here.-----How did this motor run for you last season ?

Thanks. This is used engine that I bought. It has been renovated by a semi motor mechanic. Parts are from another engine with blown head. This one has about 125 compression all cylinders. The previous owner did all the adjusting and to get it to idle speed, the timing adjusts to 16 deg. not 24. I am going to water test it soon. The idle is not smooth so that may be another problem.

Hard to type instruction here.----Best get a factory manual and follow.----One step at a time.
I just did the crank speed setup with no spark plugs and adjusted the timing lever to the rubber stop with throttle at full speed. I set the timing to 24 deg and then installed the plugs, started the engine and could not get the engine down to idle speed with throttle cable adjustment. I can only get it down to about 1500. Suggestions ?

you are describing WOT timing or did i read this incorrectly?? idle timing is around 4 ATDC so you are way too high or the flywheel key sheared. if it did, you will need a new key and lap the tapers or it will slip again.

On a motor in good condition the maximum timing advance is set at 28.----Actual timing at idle DOES NOT matter.-----Throttle plate opening is around 4 degrees.----Make sure you understand and get this correct.-----Big $$$ damage can result if not set up correctly.

You do not understand how the timing works. The 24 degree # comes from the 4 degree subtraction when doing max timing with the starter motor. Get a manual NOW. Also read the Joe reeves part

I can only get it down to about 1500. Suggestions ?
Is that 1500RPM out of the water on muffs or in the water? Without any back pressure, 1500RPM on a set of hose muffs isn't too far out of line. Another possible explanation is you have an air leak somewhere and it's allowing one or more cylinders to run lean. Also, do a link and sync on the carbs to be sure all the throttle plates are correctly aligned. Since this is a franken-motor made of combined parts you might want to be sure the part# on the components are all correct your for engine, ignition components, etc.

Back