Logo

I saw a lot of OMC TurboJet 115 posts in this forum so thought I'd take a shot at my Initial startup and troubleshooting attempt questions...

JamesDTaylorSTL

Hello all!

I was SO glad to find a forum with some pretty current posts that may apply to my Sea Swirl, Sea Squirt 115 OMC TufboJet engine jet boat. So hoping somebody sees this and replies soon!

I took a chance and bought it for $1000w/trailer. I have a TurboJet Service and parts manual.

What I know:

All cylinders have spark but haven't tested did a spark-distant test yet as I was just using a Harbor Freight tester. (which btw can be really hard to see the light in the daytime)

All cylinders have about 100psi compression which I know is probably pretty low but it hadn't been run in a couple of years and it was obviously cold. At least they we even. Turning the flywheel by hand felt like I think it should. I do not have the time to do a teardown/rebuild this year (or even next but I have rebuilt many 2-stroke motorcycles) So if I can just get it running pretty good (I will not be pulling skiers/tubes etc) but also reliable, I'll be VERY happy. Basically, I'm just missing out on a lot of river sandbar parties I want to go to and we're half-way through the boating season here in St. Louis, MO!

Carbs could probably use a rebuild but right now I'd like to see if I can just get it running at all on the trailer/out of water without doing any damage. It has a VRO pump hooked up but I don't know if it's working, especially as many of the test call for the engine to be running. There's oil in the oil tank and also oil in the gas tank but I don't know the age of the gas. (so see my last question).

The priming solenoid works and gas/oil did squirt out. I could blow through the upper carb tube but the lower was clogged. Carb cleaner spray opened them up. So I decided to put the tubes back on and start it up only to find afterward that the VRO wiring harness was still disconnected. So not sure where the (residual?) fuel/oil pressure came from... (damn was hoping it meant my VRO was working!) It did nothing but barely hit on a cylinder or two and then the starter bendix dropped out as I guess it should.

BTW having not really got it to run at all I haven't yet hooked up the cool water-line to a hose. (maybe I should to see if there's a bad crack somewhere? But I'm not sure what proper water drainage should even look like..) I understand the start it 1st, water second, etc and to watch the water pressure which since it is city pressure of about 50 PSI. But I guess someone on here meant reducing pressure by reducing the volume as even a drip leak can have 50psi behind it. But to what level of water flow level I don't know... But I'd really like to see it run for 5-10 seconds before worrying about this right now!

Soooo.... I'm thinking of getting new spark plugs and hooking up a boat gas can I have and running a 25:1 premix directly through the fuel line that leaves the VRO. Will I still need some type of pressure pump? Maybe I should just hook the gas line to the input of the VRO and hope for the best..? I'm also worried that this basic gas/oil method might not get oil to all of the places it needs to go such as the main bearing? Or would this be ok for initial testing?

Well really hope I can get some help on here fairly soon or maybe someone tell me where I might also try.

Thanks!!!!

Jim

ive never touched one of those but usually the vro is powered by crank case pressure and just pumps oil to the back of the carb or behind the carb into the intake the wiring should only be for the horn and or warning lights but it should still pump with out em. that said id just mix the fuel if it pumps the oil in behind the carb like a regular 2stroke does ive never seen a vro that pumped oil to the bearings but it wouldnt suprise me if someone didnt design such a system. ive heard that 50:1 is what was recommended but im not 100% sure on that. that said 24:1wont hurt it and will make it last longer every 2T i have that calls for 50:1 gets 16:1 20:1 24:1 but most of my motors usually call for 24:1 or more oil too much oil will not hurt anything if the plugs are of the right heat range and ive never lost an 2 stroke engine to oil related failure but ive seen otthers who have got a stihl sitting in a bucket in pieces it was ran on stihl 50:1 mix and the rod bearing is shot and the crank is blue from heat the guy who brought it to me ended up buying a new husky and i told him to richen up his mixture a bit cus this aint the first time ive seen this happen on a work saw that sees a lot of abuse. im not sure if that has a rubber impeller or not so you should wait till someone else chimes in on that particular set up but if it does id strongly recommend you hook it to a water supply even for running it for 10 seconds

Back