Logo

I need chrysler 440 heads-casting 4006452-help

captain_ed

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I am looking for a set of chrysler 440 heads with casting number 4006452. I will have them rebuilt. My e-mail is [email protected] (my name is Ed).

I had a miss in the engine. Upon checking..... I had no compression on #4 cylinder (reverse rotation motor). The center of the spark plug was missing???? The little "hook" was there ,but the center was gone. I pulled the heads and the pisons and cylinder walls look fine. The machine shop said that there are cracks around the spark plug holes? The valves looked sunken in also. They said that high cylinder temps or bad timing could be the cause. I had checked the timing and they are 5* BTDC. I appear to get 26* advance in the timing. Everything seemed O.K. with the timing. The plugs that came out were light tan in color. They did not appear to be too hot. I have new thermostats ,raw water pumps, heat exchangers, manifolds, risers, elbows etc.

Ideas??

*another post mentioned heads with extra cooling passages??? What are the casting numbers for those??? Would they work on a stock 440 magnum marine engine?

Thanks,

Ed

Thank you,

The Ebay adds confused me. The first one talks about non- matching numbers and dates?(not sure what that means). The second add mentions a welded part (hoping to find ones in good shape). I will call some local machine shops. The shop that has the heads did not have any.

Ed

Yes....that is what I refered to. I wonder if they have hardened seats? It sounds like they would be even better for me. I hate ethanol fuel with a passion....I already lost 2011 season replacing my fuel tanks because of ethanol.:mad:
"*another post mentioned heads with extra cooling passages??? What are the casting numbers for those??? Would they work on a stock 440 magnum marine engine?"

I believe you reference http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...hrysler-center-riser-aluminum-manifold-option
510 Mopar (Dan) post 7.

Sure they will work. Probably the "Motor Home" casting # in the chart...............

View attachment 6116

The 452's should have hardened seats standard. From the info I have '74 is when they started installing the hardened seats. You could have hardened seats installed in heads that are without.
I'd stay away from the welded set.
The "mis-match" set is likely being stated for someone looking for date code correct restoration pieces. Then too, the possibility of one head being more "used" then the other can exist.

Tonys parts..............
http://www.tonysparts.com/BrowseResults.asp

Mancini.............
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/aecairhe.html

or 440 Source .............
http://www.440source.com/

may be a bit more reliable than ebay for useable parts.

Hi
Before you spend a bunch of money at a local machine shop email me. Most shop do not fully understand these big blocks, just you average Chevy. I have dismantled so many engines after so much money was put into them to find the wrong parts. Such as external balanced cranks and internal balance flywheels, wrong valves and springs, horrible valve seat work, the list goes on. I have about 5-0 sets of big block heads on a shelf. I do have a set I had advertised, here is the add:

I have a set of 906 heads that I built for a guy who was repairing the engine in his 1970 boat that has a 440 magnum in it. He scrapped the project and I have these great heads with no use for them. These would be great for any application. Here is what has been done as I do to all my heads. The rocker cover gasket surface is milled perfect flat as the original castings are very bad there so this eliminates oil leaks. The exhaust gasket surface is planned on a vertical mill to ensure no leaks there; older 906 castings seem to rust out bad along there due to the type of gasket used back then. The head surface is milled aprox .020 to clean it up and provide a true flat mounting surface. All new valve guides are installed, Manganese bronze set to .374 dia. Some guys like to use sintered cast for the exhaust and I do as well for severe duty use, like LPG or NG fuels but these were done with bronze. I use bronze on my twin 440,s that run the Bahamas all the time. All new valves installed. There are hardened seat inserts in both intake and exhaust. The intake seats are nickel chrome and severe duty exhaust seats. These have the factory industrial/Marine valve springs in them. Top quality spring loaded valve stem seals. Guide height will accept .550 lift now but I could change if wanted. The castings were sand blasted and de-burred then sprayed with hi temp epoxy primer and 2 coats of hi temp, hi solids industrial black urethane, this is how I do all marine surface preparation to avoid rusting. As you can appreciate there are a lot of hours into all the machining so I cannot sell for the average machine shop price. Machine shops do not do this type of work. Selling the heads for $925. I am in Southern Ontario but go to Michigan a lot so could ship from there. Email me [email protected]

The 902 castings were a bit better for flow. The next cast 346 and all forward had the same chamber and port shapes, just subtle differences but not in performance. The 346 casting change the intake port floor for pollution control reasons. The reason everyone say's to get the 452 casting as it was the only one with hardened seats for non lead fuel. Since any knowledgeable shop would machine hard seats into the heads, the casting version became irrelevant. For a bit better flow use the 902 with hard seats, for anything use them all with hard seats, but use hard seats.
I replace both intake and exhaust seats so the headsValves with rotators.jpg213 head with plug cooling holes.jpg213 head without plug cooling holes.jpg440 head with valve seat insert bronze guides.jpg can be put back to proper specs. I have dismantled many original heads to find the valves are already machined to deep, the they are futher deepened by poor machine shop practices. Last year a fellow came to me because he put on a set of heads from a machine shop and the engine would not start. The valves were machined so deep into the soft cast iron the the plungers in the lifters were bottomed out and the valves were held open. Even if it started it would not last long. On a 452 once you cut the seat for repair the hardeneing is for the most part gone. The only way is to machine seats in. A few pictures to show what I mean.
Any way if you are interested in this set or want a different set email me. I will not sell a cheap patched up set of heads, I only do it properly, good work takes time, time is money. Fix it right or spend the nice weather at the dock doing it again.
[email protected]
seats and guides machined in.jpgValve seals.jpg

Back