Logo

I have searched - coming up empty - motor has an identity crisis

JerEazy

Contributing Member
Bought a steal of a boat and mercury tiller the other day. But I cannot identify the engine on the back. Guy said it was 15. Cowling has no sticker/numbers.

serial number is 0B114571 - it’s a manual start 15”

carb has WMC19A1651 on it.

anyone able to shed some light? Carb part number matches up on 9.9 and 15?

really fine with either engine, but spark plugs and other parts are different depending. Had Champion plugs in, so cross reference there didn’t help either.

..."Carb part number matches up on 9.9 and 15?"

Not much difference between the two. A photo won't do it.

Jeff

If that is a 1986 motor it CANNOT be a 15 hp because the 15 hp uses a bigger block. The 6/8/9.9 motors use a common block in the mid 80s to early/mid 90s, after that the 15/9.9 used the same block. So if it is the smaller blocker it will never be more than a 9.9 hp.

If that is a 1986 motor it CANNOT be a 15 hp because the 15 hp uses a bigger block. The 6/8/9.9 motors use a common block in the mid 80s to early/mid 90s, after that the 15/9.9 used the same block. So if it is the smaller blocker it will never be more than a 9.9 hp.

well that’ll do it then.

thank you

well that’ll do it then.

thank you
Sorry I should have clarified that. You will need to figure out what your bore size is to determine which block you have. The serial # will help you with that you should be able to find the piston size. With that you can determine which block you have. The 6-15 hp all look similar so telling them apart may be hard.

Sorry I should have clarified that. You will need to figure out what your bore size is to determine which block you have. The serial # will help you with that you should be able to find the piston size. With that you can determine which block you have. The 6-15 hp all look similar so telling them apart may be hard.

yeah - but the serial number doesn’t help in part searches. It brings up the parts for all the sizes.

Back