Logo

I have 2 1998 mariner 150 offshore models, tail-tell water really hot

Hammernit

I have 2 1998 Mariner 150 offshore models that I have replaced the water pump kits and the thermostats on. When hook the cups up it takes a very long time befor the tail-tell water begins to come out while running the motors. The water will be almost scalding hot when it finally starts. I will get an intermittent overheat alarm on the starboard motor. Could I have the wrong king of thermostats? Can these motors be ran without them? Or should I check something I'm missing?

poppit or pressure relief valve on the starboard side of the engine by the base of the powerhead, those need to be replaced.

At idle those engines don't have water coming out until the egine is up to temp and the thermostats open and the water will be hot bring the throttle up to around 2000-2500 and it should start spitting good and cool if the poppets are working at idle the poppets do nothing they don't work until you throttle up to provide extra cooling to keep the engine cool under load. you could have an obstruction in the water tube or block were the pumps shredded when they were changed and if so did you find all the peices.

The impellers were in good shape when I replaced them. I replaced the poppit valves. I no longer get an alarm on the starboard motor. They still seem very hot to me when the tail tell finally starts. I guess this must be normal. Now I have water coming from the exhaust on the starboard motor. I guess I'll have to pull the lower unit back off to see if I have a leak between the water pump housing and the exhaust chamber?

The water comes out at the top exhaust ports just under the cowling. Not a light spitting, but a lot. I could fill a coffee cup in just a few seconds.

Back