Logo

I got stranded at sea after engine wouldn't fire up :(

xtreamz

Hello,

I have an early 90's Johnson 50hp. When I test the engine at home before heading out it usually starts ok (not always). Yesterday it did, so good sign. Went out to enjoy some fishing - no problem starting at the boat ramp.

After fishing a while, I went to start the engine and it kept cutting out when trying to idle. I then noticed at times it felt like it had low power, then suddenly 'bursts' into power as it I had pushed the throttle forward quickly.

After stopping again for some more fishing, time to go home it then decided not to start - turning over fine but just not firing (not even for a few seconds). Spark plugs already been replaced recently so don't think it's those. Fuel hose pump felt firm. Eventually after lots of trying, waiting, trying again I remove the fuel connector hose off the engine, looked at it (literally, didn't do anything), then put it back on. Engine then started this time (coincidence or not??)

It has done the same thing a couple times in the past - on the water. The previous time, I just kept fishing and tried again 15minutes later and it started up without an issue.

At this stage i'm thinking of replacing or servicing the fuel pump but open to any suggestions as to what might be going on.

You are pushing in the key and holding it in while cranking it over ?----A new VRO pump would be expensive.-----Time to have battery load tested.

You are pushing in the key and holding it in while cranking it over ?----A new VRO pump would be expensive.-----Time to have battery load tested.
...possibly. I'll try take note of that next time to ensure i'm not pushing it in (should only be doing this when starting from cold correct?)

I think the battery should be fine - it is only powering the engine and no other eletronics (battery only 1 year old and sits on trickle charge when boat not in use).

Age is NOT a reliable indicator of battery health. Load testing is FREE & positively eliminating the battery as an issue is a wise first step. It might save you from chasing your tail, & wasting $$

One of my older boats used to do that. I finally discovered that I had a wire with the green corosion inside the insulation. Now I always look for signs of anything not clean at any terminal end.

Back