Logo

Hydrolocked/Exhaust diagnosis help?

TheSparky

I have a 1994 Crownline deckboat. I had it docked for about 2 months on a freshwater lake. After about a month and a half of being on the lake we had some pretty bad storms in which twice my cover had failed. The first time my engine was hydrolocked post the storm. The engine had not been started for approx a week before that. I pulled the plugs and replaced them cranked the water out inspected the cylinders and cranked back over. Then about 2 weeks later we had another massive storm in which the cover was taken off by high winds again. The engine was hydrolocked after that storm also. Pulled the plugs and everything was fine. So my question to you is Where do I need to start diagnosis to figure out where the boat is taking the water from while its docked? I never have any issues while its running only when its been docked during a big rain storm. The engine is a 4.3L V6 Mercruiser. I just dont know where to begin or what to look for with a marine exhaust.

Thanks!

If it only gets "wet" when the cover is blown off, I'd focus on providing cover attaching points that are more secure.

I have a friend who had a similar issue. Basically any time he had a constant chop slapping the back of the boat. Turned out his exhaust flappers were both toast and the constant slap over time push little by little in. I've also dealt with exhaust headers that have had leaky exhaust risers that slowly drip water back down the exhaust (prob not your issue if it only does it during a storm). and of course what Bt Doctur said through the flame arrestor bolt and it the wind is blowing good through the sides of it as well......

I'd also consider a secondary covering for the spark arrestor if your cover is prone to failing. At the very least it would help keep that area a little more moisture free.....

Ryan in AK

Yea well you got to get that boat out of the weather , see if the boat bilge fills with water and goes over the carb your #$%^*&.

Sorry submerge the carb you already know.

Back