Logo

hydro electric

big pete

I have a 1972 65hp Evinrude with hydro electric shift. The motor runs great but when the boat is in the water and i try to shift into reverse it wont go and it seems to be trying, when the boat is out of the water and the hose is hooked up it will go into reverse just fine. my motor model no. is 65273s. ANY!!! information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Fairly common complaint --------------The system needs the most hydraulic pressure to compression the spring and to push the clutch dog back to engage reverse.--------So if the machine has been abused by shifting at too high a speed then the edges on reverse and the gear may be worn. These edges can be touched up with a careful hand and a dremel type grinder.------------------Electric shift is wonderfully simple,reliable , well engineered and well built.

Should you be using the standard gearlube used in most standard mechanical shift engines, therein most likely lies your problem. The Hydro Electric Shift units demand what is called Premium Blend gearcase lube, also known as Type C.

Well i drained and refilled my gear case with type c and it didn't make a difference . If in fact my reverse gear were in need of some repair due to the gears grinding would they still go into reverse very very smoothly when the boat is out of the water?
By the way i did fill the gear case from the bottom up to avoid air pockets.

It will turn in reverse when it is out of the water --Because there is no load !!!!-----------My bet is that edges are worn on the clutch dog and reverse due to shifting at too high an engine RPM or shifting to reverse before the boat has slowed down to a crawl.-----------Easy fix .-------But that depends on whether you can find a shop to tackle it and availability of used parts as well.

there is a posibility the lower units electric cable is deterated might explane why problem shows up when boat is launched electric shifts where designed to defalt to foward gear in the event of electrical problems. lower unit needs to be removed to inspect.

With the shift wires DISCONNECTED at the engine, what are he ohm resistance readings of the wires leading to the lower unit coils?

With The shift wires CONNECTED at the engine but having the connectors exposed, you should have a full 12 Volt reading at those connectors..... both wires when in reverse..... the green wire when in neutral. A lower voltage reading will result in faulty shifting.

There should be absolutely NO Voltage reading when in forward gear.

Back