Logo

how to replace an early model prop hub

scattermaster

Hello,
I have a 2000 model 25hp Merc with a Vengeance series SS prop. Recently I discovered it is running a little crooked and is rubbing my lower unit.
I want to replace the hub in the prop but I cannot find any videos, or even written instructions.
The hub is the early Flo Torq 1 style. (it has a hex and the splines at the rear of the prop) Kit # 19669T.
I probably shouldn't have, but I pressed the old hub out of the old prop. The rubber part of the hub is a good deal larger in diameter than the bore that is goes into. I looks like I would need a "funnel" so to speak to make the hub go into the bore.
Has any one here aver done this?
Will the newer style hubs/props fit my old motor?
thx,
Jim

A dealer should be able to send it out to a prop shop for re-hubbing.

Quicksilver,
I'm pretty much a DYI'er. I was trying to avoid the high cost of going through a dealer and prop shop.
Hence ,my posting here for info.

Since my last post I found out on You Tube that my thoughts were correct.
They use a special tool that goes on top of the prop that is slightly funnel shaped.
On the large end, the rubber part of the hub slides in easily. Then it tapers down to the diameter of the bore in the prop where it will be pressed in to.
It looks like I can make that tool using a piece of thick pipe and turn in on my lathe.
Hub kit is on order.
I still don't know what they use to lube the rubber with. I'm sure they don't use oil but it'll need something.
One video I saw they used a mix of rubbing alcohol and dish soap. HMMMM?

The mix is 1:1 alcohol and dish soap.
If you have the tool, or can manufacture one, I did, you need to make sure everything is level, plumb and your press is at least 10tn.
And be sure your center is supported to make sure the diffuser, the outer ring on the prop, is well clear of the press surface.
Saying that, I would look around for a prop shop before diying it. I didn't really have a choice as at the time I did it, except buy new prop. There were no prop shops that I could find in my neck of the woods, London was the nearest.

The mix is 1:1 alcohol and dish soap.
If you have the tool, or can manufacture one, I did, you need to make sure everything is level, plumb and your press is at least 10tn.
And be sure your center is supported to make sure the diffuser, the outer ring on the prop, is well clear of the press surface.
Saying that, I would look around for a prop shop before diying it. I didn't really have a choice as at the time I did it, except buy new prop. There were no prop shops that I could find in my neck of the woods, London was the nearest.
THx for your reply.
I have a 20 ton press, so I'm OK there.
On my prop, the hub presses in from the back side. The trailing edge. So the prop won't be sitting on the diffuser.
Hehe,
when I pressed the old one out I just set the diffuser on the press! It's a stainless steel prop and feels really strong. It doesn't look like I hurt it...
I didn't consider that it might not press straight enough for the hub to pass through the small hole at the front of the prop. I need to come up with a way to force it to press straight. Maybe a snug fitting rod in the ID of the hub that would act as a guide.
Jim

Attachments

• my prop hub kit.JPG
    my prop hub kit.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back