Logo

How to properly fill a 1985 omc stringer with oil ?

Welcome aboard !

You will have a pm in a few minutes after i post this.

Do not worry about the words when you see my pm you will understand better.

You have 3 sep. drives. Plus a tilt clutch housing.

Looking at the drive from behind on the very top you will see a large quarter size screw in the intermediate drive, the one coming thru the transom, unscrew it. Look under the drive on the intermediate, you will see the drain it is right close by the steering gear. Pull the screw and let the intermediate drain.

Looking at the very top of the drive itself is the dipstick- pull it. Looking at the upper drive right starboard side is the drain plug pull it, it will have a magnet on it.

Looking below on the lower is the vent plug pull it, and the the very oiwerst plug is the drain, pull it, now you have the 3 drives draing with the drive fully down.

Ok will take a while to drain, looking at the left side port, is the tilt clutch housing, i will post a write up concerning that one after i'm done i wrote a while back.

Time to fill the drive, i start at the bottom most plug, screw in your pump, pump slow till you see gear oil " I buy mine in the gallon size from wal-mart you need 80-90 weight anything with a picture of a boat on it " come out the vent hole above it.
Install the vent plug then unscrew your pump and install the fill plug the one with the magnet on it use a fresh plastic washer i get them from home cheapo 1 dollar for 10, or any marine store will have them, more money.

Now i unscrew the vent again on the lower and let the air out for about a half hour while i fill the upper drive from the bottom, be careful you don' really want it gushing out the top dipstick tube. I will post the amount that goes into each drive latter when i look it up.

upper full put the dipstick in unscrew the pump from the fill install the fill plug with the magnet plug fresh washer and then pull the dipstick and let sit for a half hour.

Install the drain screw in the intermediate, fresh washer, the squeeze in from the top real slow the intermediate fill till full.

By this time you can stick a wire into the vent on the lower if still full then you can close up the lower same with the dipstick, if still full see the upper and the lower might burp sir then you would have to top them off.

You done with the intermediate close it up.

7 oz for the intermediate

26.7 oz lower

16.6 oz upper

How to fix stringer tilt problems!

So you have a stringer out drive that won't tilt up, or it tilts up very slowly, or you need to help it up physically. Maybe it doesn't move at all.

Here is a step bye step guide to fixing it. A manual would be very helpful.

1- A fully charged battery is imperative.

2- Disconnect the battery and clean the battery posts. Are the cables good?

3- With the battery disconnected, clean all the connections on the port side, solenoids. Don't forget the grounds.

4- Clean connections to tilt motor. Two wires.

5- Connect the battery.

6- On the out drive port side, there is a clutch housing. Four screws hold on
cover. Pull that cover. May be full of water. They all leak.

Two things you can do at this time.

A- Clean out the housing with clutch installed.

B- Remove the clutch and rebuild the housing. New seals.

If you chose A, Spray the clutch with brake cleaner. Make sure it's as clean as you can get it. You might have to spray it a few times. Blow it dry. Spray the the clutch with penetrating oil. Pack the housing with grease, and install cover. Don't over tighten the screws, can bind the clutch.

If you chose B, remove all the components of the gear housing. Soak everything in Acetone overnight. Rebuild housing, new seals. Blow dry the parts, soak them all in motor oil for a hour or two. Install parts. Pack the housing with grease. I know it calls for 30 weight motor oil. Trust me pack it with grease. Install cover.

7- Gently pry off the rubber bumpers. Don't mix them up, pump grease in the zerks. Install bumpers.

At this point the drive should move up and down easy. If it doesn't, you need to pull the tilt motor. Test motor and replace or rebuild. Make sure the hammer blow coupler is good or replace. Don't forget the gasket, on the tilt motor. .

Good luck!

Above is a post on another website i am the author will work you thru the tilt clutch housing.

Eventually you will run into problems with the tilt so it will help you latter save this thread in your fav.

Good luck you will have a pm in a minute.

the free d/l disappeared no pm. Sorry maybe someone will post the link, if they have it.

I use omc stern drives 1964-86' repair manual # 3400 right hand upper corner Seloc, paper manual available here on this site you can order it.

Back