Logo

How to manually check codes NSD90 TLDI

kpjenk21

I was wondering if someone could list the steps i need to take in order to check for engine codes on my 90Hp Nissan TLDI outboard. I just bought the boat from someone and when i took it out it idled fine in fwd and reverse but when i went to accelerate it would sputter and stall. It would then it had issues starting. took it home cleaned the spark plugs which were black with soot and had oil on them. once cleaned i put muffs on and it started after a couple of tries and it even accelerated fine. turned it off and now won't start again. bought new plugs, new screw on fuel flter, and ordered a new fuel filter that goes under the cowel. want to check the codes on it to see what it says. thanks!!

okay so i figured out how to self diagnose. now to what it means...

codes i got were:

batter voltage abnormally low
battery voltage low
faulty #2 TPS
#1 tps power supply low
#2 tps power supply low

would this be a faulty Throttle Positioning Sensor or just too low of voltage...hence "battery voltage abnormally low" code?

4 out of 5 codes are low battery, hence my suggestion. Load test the battery then. Check for corrosion on all electrical contacts/connections. Your battery could be fully charged and still fail a load test. How old is the battery? Has the battery ever been frozen? Is your regulator/rectifier working properly?

4 out of 5 codes are low battery, hence my suggestion. Load test the battery then. Check for corrosion on all electrical contacts/connections. Your battery could be fully charged and still fail a load test. How old is the battery? Has the battery ever been frozen? Is your regulator/rectifier working properly?

haven't been able to do a load test on battery. do not know anything about battery that was hooked up originally but today i removed it and put in a 2015 interstate that has not been frozen and has been on the onboard maintenance charger. it read 13v at idle and same as i revved up motor. went to check the rectifier and did not get a diode reading at +,+ -,- but when i switched and put neg on positive and positive on neg, the reading would jump around from 800-1500...not sure what that means. I'm guessing i can remove the rectifier and get to the other wire from the back side of it to do a diode test?

You are running on an 8 year old battery? Good luck. The regulator /rectifier likely won't let you at the bridge to check diodes. I would load test the battery and VERIFY all connections, especially grounds. I would expect at least 14v while running.

You are running on an 8 year old battery? Good luck. The regulator /rectifier likely won't let you at the bridge to check diodes. I would load test the battery and VERIFY all connections, especially grounds. I would expect at least 14v while running.
Ok, so i replaced the TPS sensor but still no luck starting. however, it did clear the TPS error codes in diag mode. Still was getting low voltage codes though so i got a new battery. cleared codes, and now have no error codes at all, yay.. Still cannot get it to start. I have replaced the water/fuel seperator, the small white in-line fuel filter, the fuel line and primer bulb, and even bypassed the water/fuel seperator. is there a way to check if the black high pressure fuel filter is clogged? undo the outlet hose and see if gas flows out? i contacted my local boat guy but have a few weeks until he can fit me in. so until then i'm up for any suggestions... sprayed some starting fluid and it tries to get passed the point of turning over but just cant get there and then something disengages and stops turning over altogether.

Back