Logo

How to lube and save your cables.

moondrifter

Regular Contributor
This method will lubricate any cable,make it very smooth to move and displace moisture buildup to extent it's life.
1-Disconnect on both ends.Not lower unit shift cable . Later on that.
2-Slide a large 14 inch piece of tubeing over the highest end of the cable.(Helm)Hose clamp it to the metal part of the outer cable. Fill the hose with 30 wt. oil and mark the level on the outside of the tube. Now go to the other end of the cable and work the inner cable back and forth. This will pull the oil slowly into the cable. Now if you are as impatient as I am, hose clamp your air supply to the tube and give it a few short blasts as you work the inner cable.
3-After you have noticed the marked level has dropped and the inner cable is as smooth as butter, simply turn the oil end down and pour out excess oil.
I thought of this after spending $400.00 to have a new steering cable installed. It's labor intensive but worth it. The boat will br stored soon anyway. You can set up the tube, mark it and let it go in by itself.
The lower unit cable has to be done that way because you don't want to run the risk of blowing the shift cable bellow out with compressed air. My lower unit cable was hanging up and I saved it doing this! It's been 2 years and it still works fine.
Moondrifter

We used to employ that method to lubricate speedometer, emergency brake and clutch cables on automobiles....a regulated air pressure supply keeps you from blowing the hose and clamp from the cable.

I was under the impression the lower shift cable drag was required to make the shift interrupt operate properly, and lubing the cable would make it not work
the last one I installed had a coated cable which I was told not to lube
for all the other cables, process sounds excellent

My lower unit was having trouble getting all the way in gear. it would hang right at the point of going in. Lubed the lower cable, problem gone.

Back