Logo

How to get 2.3l shift cable out

cannonballkev

Contributing Member
I do not have a manual, one i on the way. I am trying to change the shift cable on my 2.3. I have a parts boat that I am messing with first, i pulled the outdrive off, the lower boot (with all the holes in it) un did the cable frome the shift linkage at the motor.
Here is my question, how do you loosen the bolt that is made as part of the cable from the threaded place on the outdrive? The whole cable has to turn to get it loose.
2nd- how do you get cable thru the transom? I got it all the way to the crimped metal casing, I can look at the hole the cable is in and see the start of the metal. On the other end there is a threaded adjuster nut that im asuming is getting hung up.
This is on the parts boat m but i need to know the "trick" before i start on my boat.
Thanks

just read something in stuart Hastings instructions. I can just replace the "inner" cable in the shift cable, leaving the old casing in place? This would make life much easier, that woud answer both questions

I replaced the cable on my 2.3 last year the trck I found was to feed the hose that the cable runs through beside the engine and make it as straight as possible for removeing and reinstalling the cable. the other trick was to unthread the end that goes to the engine completely off the cable before removal and reinstalition. lastly I removed the part off the transom mount that the cable is attached to be removeing the two allen head bolts in the side of the transom mount. when I pulled that part of the transom mount the cable slide out nice and easy. Hope this helps you and read the stewart hastings method for adjust carefully these drives are very tempramental about the adjustment I spent more time getting it adjusted than it took to change the cable.

I replaced the cable on my 2.3 last year the trck I found was to feed the hose that the cable runs through beside the engine and make it as straight as possible for removeing and reinstalling the cable. the other trick was to unthread the end that goes to the engine completely off the cable before removal and reinstalition. lastly I removed the part off the transom mount that the cable is attached to be removeing the two allen head bolts in the side of the transom mount. when I pulled that part of the transom mount the cable slide out nice and easy. Hope this helps you and read the stewart hastings method for adjust carefully these drives are very tempramental about the adjustment I spent more time getting it adjusted than it took to change the cable.

Thanks. On the cable end at the motor, there is a blacl sleeve that has two screws on each side, that comes off very easy. There is a (dont know what to call it) threaded adjustment "barrell" that does not come all the way off the cable, you left that on correct? I think that is what is getting stuck on my parts bpat

Back