Logo

How to diagnose no spark on 5 HP Force motor?

DreamBoater

Thanks for the info & help Jj02:

I am posting anew as the question is a different one now. This 2 cycle, pull-start motor last ran 2 yrs ago & then has sat in a humid garage on a cement floor. I have spent some hrs familiarizing myself with the motor & brushing off the dirt on the exterior surfaces of the motor, after separating the rope from the T handle.

Upon recognizing main components like carb, cylinder head & engine block, so to speak, I proceeded to perform a spark test with the help of a spark tester.

If I used the spark tester correctly, & I am supposed to see a spark inside the tester where the white cone is present, there was no spark.

Then I removed the spark plug from the head & pushed it back into the rubber boot/cap & tested it for a spark by holding the boot & spark plug with plastic handled pliers, against the un-painted face where the spark plug is screwed into the cylinder head. I then pulled on the starting rope & as the motor components turned in their respective directions, there was no spark arcing across the terminals/electrodes of the spark plug, leading me to conclude that either the spark plug is bad or there is no spark coming through the cable to the spark plug.

Currently, the position of what I presume is the kill/stop switch, the red plastic U-shaped thick washer attached to a red plastic lanyard/cord w/clip, is placed in between the spring-loaded red knob & the body. I presume this is the correct position of the U-shaped washer when the the motor is to be operated.

This is where my knowledge ends. Could someone tell me in detail what I should do next? Thanks again, in advance, for your help.

Last edited:
What year and model/ser# would be helpful.Some have electronic ignition some have points(which I believe you have).The points could be corroded.Remove the flywheel and clean the points.
DON"T undo them just use emery cloth or sandpaper on them.Use a meter and check them for continuity.J

Thanks for the additional guidance Jj05:

Unfortunately I do not know the model yr of the motor. The Serial # is OE054546.

I shall do to the points as you direct & report back when done, probably next wk, if I do not get to them before.

Last edited:
Well, I was able to remove the flywheel, to discover that there are no points. There is a component that would lead me believe that this motor has an electronic ignition.
What should be done to continue to diagnose the no-spark condition. I wonder if the kill-switch has anything to do with the condition. Thanks in advance.

To check for spark you need to have someone look at the sparkie while you pull like your trying to start it.Just turning the flywheel will not generate enough power to create spark.
The kill switch needs a connector to engage it.Maybe it's corroded.Take it apart and check for continuity.Some work by grounding the motor out.
You have a mid 90's (I'm guessing).
Make sure the flywheel key is in right and start again.J

Back