Logo

How to decide whether an inboard/outboard motor is safe to buy on used boat?

csd20

Hello, I am considering purchasing a used 1979 Glastron with an inboard/outboard 2.5 liter mercruiser (120 hp). I don't have much experience with boat motors, but I have been doing lots of research lately. Anyway, the seller tells me the motor worked great before the starter went out recently. This is not too concerning, and I am expecting about a $100 fix. Also, however, he says some water got in the engine due to a bad mixer elbow on the exhaust pipe. He makes it sound like if I change the oil and repair the elbow($60), and replace the starter, the boat should work fine. I am concerned about water in the engine, but is this situation not a big deal? Or is this too big of a red flag? Any help would be appreciated. Also, any tips on how I should inspect the motor overall? I will only buy if the only fixes are the starter and mixer elbow. I don't want to buy the boat only to find out the motor is shot. The bad starter is also a problem because I won't be able to run the motor when I check it out. How can I perform an inspection to make sure it is ok? Thanks a lot for any help.

We all make mistakes as we try to recall things.
Some of us tend to exaggerate when we describe things.
Not everyone is mechanically inclined.

Hear it run, perform some engine and drive tests, and do a sea trial before you put your dollars down.

why is the starter out?burned up from a locked up engine?...the owner would have to fix it before i would touch it....or price it as if it had a scrap engine in it if i really wanted the boat..

a 35 year old engine with a bad elbow that wasn't fixed (for how long?) and now a bad starter and you can't hear it running....as a wise man once said " Run Forest, Run!!!"

Depends on how bad you want the boat...For me...he would have to pay me to take it. If I can't at least hear a boat run, it's worthless to me. I'll take it for free because at the very least I can scrap the trailer/engine to pay for junking the boat itself and usually have some extra in my pocket.

Every single boat being sold 'ran great the last time we had it out' or 'ran great before put away' or 'only needs X part to run great'. Unless I personally know the seller of the boat before the deal, I don't believe a word that comes out of their mouth. Some of them straight lie to your face, but most are just simply ignorant on the subject of boats.

If you can get him to fix at least the starter to hear it turn over/check compression/check spark/etc. It might be worth looking at. Otherwise, keep looking.

Ok, thanks for the help on the situation. I think I'm going to pass this one up, which hurts a little because it has about everything I want for pretty cheap. Other than the motor situation of course. I was being quite cautious before, but now I realize it's definitely not worth it.

Back