Logo

How to ask a question !

chiefalen

Banned
Below is a post i found on another web site, copied and pasted here. This should be a sticky. Author is BT Doctur:

In this forum, we do not need to know what type boat you have, we need to know the following to answer your questions with any kind of specific information.

1. Engine year, make, type, model, and serial number if possible.

2. Type and model of outdrive, Merc, Volvo, OMC, etc.

3. EXACTLY what it's doing wrong, worded correctly so we can figure out the question.

4. PATIENCE to do the testing procedures given.

5. State your problem in the name of the topic. Don't clutter up your request for help with HELP!!! or PLEASE!!!. We know you want help. Tell us what kind of help you need.

6. Don't capitalize except where it is normal.

7. All posts related to your request should be posted as replies to that topic, not on a new topic.

8. Don't add a new question to someone else's topic. If you have a new question, make a new topic.

9. A return post to keep everyone updated.

You forgot step one: SEARCH! I see the same problems posted over and over again. It seems only on this site do we allow this without telling guys to search first, ask questions later when you don't find the anwser you need.

Amen, Pugetsounder!
I find myself getting bored with it and have take a break from it for a while.
I like the site alot and have had great succes fixing my own boat with the wealth of knowledge and experience. I like to think I give some back, but it gets pretty tedious when it looks like half the daily questions are the same as the previous day's.

One might add to #3.... in describing the problem PLEASE indicate..
a) always did this since I owned it and that has been since xxxx?
b) it just now did this suddenly
c) gradually happened.

Back