Logo

How do I replace my AQ 140A with automotive B230F Volvo

Cap.Silver

I have 1979 AQ 140 A with 280 outdrive and need to replace the engine (because of rusted pan,pulleys etc.).I have decent automotive B230F (maybe 1985 )in the garage with the dist.cap in back on the top. Can I use the whole engine or do I need to strip the head ,pop the plug on the auto engine ,put the old DC in ,use the old engine's head or is there another thing I need to do ? I know that similar questions were brought up here often ,but I just couldn't find enough info on my scenario . Right now my AQ has 2 carbs , the auto engine has one . I'm aware of the 5hp loss and that doesn't bother me . I don't know anything about the B230F (I just got it ) other than that it came off 740 DL or so.... mid 80's ? The engine # is 499989 34201 and I couldn't find any reference . Does anyone know answer to my questions?

Sorry, the auto has fuel injection and distributor on valve cover in the back . Also would you cool the engine with closed automotive radiator and fan or still run the raw seawater through it ? Had anyone done it with just car fan and cutting vents in the dog house or something ? I know it sounds weird ,but it limits possible damage to the engine from salt .

Does anyone know answer to my questions?

Yes. Strip all the marine parts from the old engine and put them on the new engine. If you run it in fresh water you are OK. If you run it in salt water you might get a season before the engine corrodes inside beyond repair.
You have to use the old head since it has the marine cam.

Back