Logo

How do I manually lift or lower 225 4 stroke outboard

redbird

I have a 225 Honda Outboard and the tilt motor runs but the motor does not move up or down. The manual says there is a manual relief valve but shows a picture you cant determine where it is located. Does anyone know where or how to access the valve?

Not sure how much help this might be because the parts view in the link below is a bit confusing too. But, with what you have and this, you might get there. The manual valve is item #20 in the illustration. It is screwed into the port side of item #11 which is the hydraulic control valve that the trim motor sits on top of.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that the manual valve has a large slot in it that looks like you would use an over sized, flat bladed screwdriver to loosen it. I work on the smaller motors and this valve body looks like it might be the same as those but, again, not 100% sure. If it is the same though, there will be another valve located just forward of that one that is essentially the drain valve for the system. So, be a bit cautious if you get confused as to which one to loosen because if you completely back out the drain valve, you will get a big mess and get air in your system.

If that manual valve is already loose, try tightening it and then see if your tilt comes back. Sometimes that is all that is wrong. If it is not loose, it can be hard to back off for the first time and you need to use a large enough tool in the slot so that you don't "booger" it up.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...01 TO BAHJ-1199999/POWER TRIM-TILT/parts.html

The access to the manual relief valve is on the left side of the motor mounting bracket as you are looking at the back of the boat. Just look down on the side of the area where the trim and tilt unit is mounted.

You will see a hole with a couple of arrows around it, indicating which direction to turn the screw driver for "manual" or "power".

As Jimmyd said, be sure to use a big enough screw driver in the slot.

Mike

Back