Logo

hotchkiss CONE drive propulsion system.

sean wiles

*i WANT A CONE DRIVE! THEY WERE DESIGNED IN THE 40'S BY DONALD VIVIEN HOTCHKISS AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO THE PROPELLER. tHERE ARE USUALY TWO CONE SHAPED HOUSINGS BACK TO BACK WITH A PADDLE DRIVEN *IN THE LARGE END. WITH THE CONE ON ITS SIDE ON THE FLOOR OF THE BOAT. IT IS CUT AWAY FOR ABOUT 1/3RD OF THE CONE. AS THE PADDLES SPIN, THEY DRAW WATER IN TO THE SMALL END OF THE CONE AND IT SPEEDS UP TOWARDS THE LARGE END WHERE IT IS EJECTEDAT SOME SPEED.
THESE ARE AS EFFECTIVE AS A PROP, BUT DONT PROTRUDE BELOW THE BOAT, SO VERY SHALLOW DRAUGHT. AND NO PROBLEM WITH WEEDS LOGS ETC.
SORRY THIS ISN'T A VERY GOOD DESCRIPTION BUT MAY BE ENOUGH IF YOU KNOW OF ONE.
I AM BUILDING A 16 FT ALUMINIUM BOAT USING A TELEDYNE AIRCRAFT ENGINE AND I NEED A CONE TO DRIVE IT. ANY TYPE WILL DO AS IF IT IS TO BIG OR RUSTED AWAY I CAN USE IT TO COPY AND MAKE A NEW ONE.
I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP FROM ANYBODY ON THIS SUBJECT.
MY WIFE THINKS I AM SANE, EVEN IF YOU DONT!!!* THANKS IN ADVANCE. SEAN

thanks Tom, that is fascinating! reminds me of Rupert bear and the screw driven underground submarine (subearth?) invented by the professor. It was called the Earthworm.
It has given me several ideas for my next project.
No...I musn't digress,stick to one thing at a time.
But, nice to get any kind of feedback.
sean

by the way, my boat is progressing well, I now have a cone drive, but its an original, probably 70 years old and in bad condition, so I am still looking.Any information will be appreciated.

Back