Logo

HOT Coils ??

Trojanman

Regular Contributor
Hey Guys! I recently installed new coils in the boat, MSD Blaster2, and even with running 9 volts at the coil with the ballast resistor its very hot to the touch, I mean really hot! is this normal ? :confused:

Jeff, just put them in last week, when I got back to the mooring I decided to check the bilge one more time and touched the coils to see how hot they were, I could only touch them 1 to 2 seconds at most. I never checked the old coils when they were in. I guess I could throw one old one on and take it for a spin??

No, put them in and went out for a ride. I've read that they are supposed to be hot but I didn't know if they're supposed to be hot to the point that you can only touch them for 2 seconds max. ??

Something is amiss here. BOTH coils do this?

Jeff

PS: What voltage do your motors run at while at cruising speed (which can be duplicated in neutral). Perhaps the alternators are putting out way too many volts?

14.6 on the right motor, 14.9-15.2 on the left motor, is this way to high or acceptable ?
For a battery bank in need of charge, you may see 14.8v for a duration. Your alternator should cut the charge rate back fairly shortly.

The 15.2v is defiinitely on the high side.
Either your battery is not absorbing the charge, or the alternator regulator is out of whack.

Thanks Rick, I did check voltage right after start up, after the boat sat a week and the batteries might have been a little low??so mybe thats the reason for the high voltage, I should have checked it when I returned. I'll do some investigating this tomorrow.

Do you have electronic ignition conversions? Many require you to remove the ballast and run the coil at 12v.

Dan
Again, depending on which ignition coil.

Remember..... there are two sides to the electronic ignition system.

• X voltage for the triggering unit.
  • Y voltage for the ignition coil.

The ignition coil type determines whether or not an external ballast resistor is required or not required.
They may both require the same..... or perhaps not.

Ok so after some investigation I realized that I forgot to remove the by-pass wire I had on the Ballast because before putting in the new coils I had a coil with a internal resistor (port motor), I actually cooked the new coil and had to return and get a new one. (My Bad) After install I'm getting 7.9 volts from both coils (at idle). After a run I noticed that the new coil on the left motor is weeping a little bit of oil out of it. I put the meter on everything and did notice that the battery that starts this motor was only showing 13.5 volt while running?? Could the coil be running hot, trying to throw more voltage to a low battery?? I am reading 14.6 at the alternator, so I'm thinking mybe a bad battery. I am going switch batteries from the right motor cause I am getting 14.6 volts at the battery while running.

Back