Logo

Honda trim % not working?

grey2112

Contributing Member
So, I have had my Honda 250 and Simrad MFD for 4.5 years. The trim% shown on the Simrad and on the newer Lowrance has always been accurate, and usually trimmed up to ideal is 60%.

After my last PM I did, where I cleaned, lubed, silicon sprayed, and replaced some bolts and screws, the trim % is now showing less than 10% where it should be showing 60%.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? I don't think it is a problem with the MFD - could it be some sort of sending unit, wiring, etc. from the trim motor?

I'm assuming your 250's a similar to my 225 in this respect.

Tilt the engine all the way up and throw the safety lock on the starboard side. On the port side, underneath the leg, you will see a spring loaded arm that rides against the upper case.

See item # 7 at:http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...250A XCA/STERN BRACKET SWIVEL CASE/parts.html

First, make sure it hasn't come loose. Then remove and operate by hand to make sure it is not stuck or bound up. If bound up, a good dose of WD-40 while moving it through its range will usually loosen it up. Have someone watch your trim meter while you move the arm through it's full range. It should show on the trim meter. If that doesn't show, then follow the wiring to it's plug inside the cowling, and unplug and thoroughly clean contacts.

Hook up an ohm meter to the contacts from the sender and see if you get a smooth variation in resistance as you move the sensor arm through it's range. If so, then you have a problem with further up stream or possibly with your MFD.

I'm assuming your 250's a similar to my 225 in this respect.

Tilt the engine all the way up and throw the safety lock on the starboard side. On the port side, underneath the leg, you will see a spring loaded arm that rides against the upper case.

See item # 7 at:http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...250A XCA/STERN BRACKET SWIVEL CASE/parts.html

First, make sure it hasn't come loose. Then remove and operate by hand to make sure it is not stuck or bound up. If bound up, a good dose of WD-40 while moving it through its range will usually loosen it up. Have someone watch your trim meter while you move the arm through it's full range. It should show on the trim meter. If that doesn't show, then follow the wiring to it's plug inside the cowling, and unplug and thoroughly clean contacts.

Hook up an ohm meter to the contacts from the sender and see if you get a smooth variation in resistance as you move the sensor arm through it's range. If so, then you have a problem with further up stream or possibly with your MFD.

Thank you! It was gummed up - spraying it now and working it out.

Back