Logo

Honda BFP 60 stalling

DaveOnCudjoe

I have this motor on a small trawler. I run 2800-3000 rpm and after 30 to 60 minutes it will shut down. It restarts but will cut out again if reved above about 1100 rpm. After restarting a number of times and limping home it will not restart. The next day it starts and runs like a champ but will again cut out after some time. No Honda mechanics in my area, what to do.

Hi,
Not much information to go on.

Remember, the more thorough you are at describing the particulars about your outboard and the issue you're having, the better it will be for those here wanting to try and help you figure this out.

Information about maintenance, including spark plugs, oil changes, waterpump repairs or thermostat replacement could be pertinent.

What year is the outboard?

Can you provide the frame or vin number?

Are you getting an alarm or warning light?

Is the green oil light on when the engine is running?

Are you using an "add on" water separator? If so, when was the last time it was serviced?

Does the engine seem to be running unusually hot? If so, I would avoid running it anymore until the problem is corrected.

Does it seem to have any misfires or "rough running" when the problem is present?

Sorry about all the questions but that's just how the conversation is started.

This site has several members with 60 hp Hondas so, hopefully, someone here will recognize these conditions and have a quick solution for you.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response. All the engine maintenance you asked about was performed in the last 20 hours of operation. It does not seem to be running hot and runs as smooth as a sewing machine untill it just stops. With EFI it's hard to determine if I'm loosing fuel or spark. With all the sensors feeding the ECM I'm at loss without a diagnostic computer. It does have an additional Racor filter/separator changed at the last service less than 20 hours ago. I burn regular gas with marine grade stabil. The gas is about a month old. I have drained the vapor separator tank but due to it's location was unable to tell if it contained any water. Neither of the water separators show any water. My next plan is to take it and run it until it quits, then remove the fuel filler cap to see if a clogged vent line is causing a vacuum in the tank. I can't get to the tank or vent line, they were fitted before the cap was installed during the build. I hate to start cutting up the boat. None of the warning lights indicate a problem. The motor is a 2018 model with 665 hours. I'm unable to find a shop manual for this motor, except one in Russian.

Well, the shop manual for the BFP60A is here:

Not sure if that would work for you....just tossing it out there.

I like your plan for checking the tank vent.
This does sound like a fuel starvation problem or water in fuel symptom to me but, as you say, it might be something else entirely.

I would definitely "revisit" the fuel water separator work that was done to eliminate that as a possibility. Especially if this started right after.

I've seen cases where those on board water separators with electrical sensors cause problems when they go bad but it's typically more of a warning horn and red lamp thing. I can't recall if they cause a stall like this.

Any chance that you could rig up a fuel pressure gauge and refer to it when the issue occurs?

We have seen issues here with coolant passages getting clogged causing problems that are difficult to diagnose but I'm not sure if I've seen that with the 60hp or not.

I haven't worked on one these so just throwing some ideas your way.

Hopefully Ian...the pro Honda tech that helps folks here...will see this and comment.

Good luck.

Try running it on a portable tank to eliminate issues with your fuel tank and lines.

When you changed your Racor, did you dump it into a clear container and was there anything in the fuel?

When you changed the water pump, did you do the full kit or just the impeller? When it shuts down, does the water stream feel overly hot? When you changed the thermostat, was it all crudded up?

I'll try the portable tank. The Racor has a clear bottom where water can collect and be drained off. No water has been seen and there is a second separator under the cowl which shows no water. I replaced the water pump with the full kit but have not replaced the thermostat since there is no sign of over heating, discharge water is mearly warm.

Back