Logo

Honda BF90 - MIL Codes Question

brendaneducore

I have a Honda Bf90A outboard engine is sending troubleshooting codes through engine light flashes (MIL) it is showing 2 long blinks and 5 short blinks. What is the likely engine issue?

When I run the engine, it runs fine but I have constant intermittent buzzing sound coming through the control.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Brendan

Hi Everyone,

Seeking some support as information is limited online (even asked ChatGPT with no luck!)

I have a Honda BF90A outboard engine on my boat. When I run the engine, it runs fine but I have constant intermittent buzzing sound coming through the control.

I've applied the paperclip method to obtain the MIL engine light code diagnosis and it is sending codes through light flashes (MIL) it is currently showing 2 long blinks and 5 short blinks. What is the likely engine issue?

Here is video of the MIL blinks

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Brendan

Hi,
First off, I don't have any experience with the Honda 90 so I probably won't be of great help to you on this.
But, looking at the code chart, you are getting a 25 code which translates to "disconnected or faulty temperature sensor 2" in the code description.
It goes on to say that this could also be due to faulty wiring in the temp sensor 2 wiring harness.

You didn't mention what year your outboard was made and that might be helpful to someone trying to assist you.

I say that because I have seen other posts here that involved continuous warning buzzer that had something to do with a faulty on board water separator with the electrical sensor.
If your outboard has one of those, you might want to check on that.

Also, I have seen several instances on this site where the continuous buzzer was being caused by debris build up in the engine cooling passages. There is a pro level Honda tech on this site named Ian that you would probably like to hear from on this but doesn't always respond straight away. He usually does though after a time.

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted out.

Try clearing the code, then run the motor and let me know how long it takes before it alarms again. Fault 25 is not in the mil code list. You might have to find someone with Dr H to have a look.

Back