Logo

Honda BF50D outboard - not reaching full rpm at WOT

Hi,

The video doesn't really tell me much except, yeah, it sounds a little anemic and you can work the throttle with a coat hanger.

A little more info please.

Did this suddenly happen "out of the blue"?

Or, is this something that has been coming on slowly? If so, how long have you been noticing it happening?

Ever have any warning lights or alarms?

Ever get hot?

Green oil lamp on while running?

Stuff like that.

Along with any maintenance that's been done recently....or neglected for a long time.

You know...Tell us a story!

Thank you for your reply.

This has only just happend, I'm going to the tender later, I will jump the green & black wires on the red diagnostic plug, then reset the codes by pulling the cut out switch 5 times within 10 seconds.

Also, I will replace the battery terminal lugs as they are missing with the positive cable wedged inbetween the battery terminal and ring, maybe its a case of not enough amps to support the higher rpm.

The PGM-F1 light and long intermittant buzzer came on a few minutes prior, I stopped the engine and restarted its no longer coming on.

The green light stays on as normal, all 3 red lights come on and go off after starting.

I use the tender almost daily, over a week ago the coolant light came on, but that has not come back on and there is water coming out of the engine cooling outlet.

The tacho is not working so its difficult to gauge the max rpm, but it has been feeling a slow for the last couple of months, taking longer to get up on a plane.

A bought the boat and tender in Vietnam during covid, its been sitting there on the hard for a couple of years, the skipper who brought it back to Thailand with me said he did a full service on the tender engine, we arrived here two months ago and I've been using it to go to and from the boat since.

I replaced the throttle & gear shift cables yesterday, am awaiting delivery of the c-cap for the throttle rod end hence the improvised throttle control.

Regards
Arran.

First you say "this has just happened "

Then, you say "it has been feeling slow for the last couple of months, taking longer to get up on a plane".

Well.....
it's a story anyway.

Just not a very consistent one.

Not sure where you got your info on checking for codes but I hope it's accurate.

These FI engines absolutely rely on constant, reliable power from the electrical system to run correctly.

I 100% agree that repairing and cleaning the battery connections should be the #1 priority.

Running it with a poor connection at the battery could damage the charging system and maybe the ECU. And it is likely the reason you got the light and buzzer that didn't reoccur.

But, based on your "story" I think you may have multiple issues with possibly fuel delivery issues being very high on the list.

When the skipper "serviced" the outboard I wonder if he cleaned the VST? Was the fuel filter replaced?

If you're going to be doing your own maintenance, I suggest you get the service manual so that you are using accurate information and specifications.

I don't have the manual so I can't offer you any particulars about, for instance, what the fuel pressure should be. You will likely be wanting to check that if you continue to have problems after doing some basics.

Good luck.

That was a very good video.
I will point out two things about it as it relates to your issues.

1. His was a 90hp...yours is a 50. Similar but they are slightly different.

2. You will notice that he had the service manual to help. Something I have already suggested.

Good luck.

Back