Logo

Honda bf50a BAZL vin help with tiller lights

Packershonda

I just tested my bf50a. I hooked the ear muffs on the water intake and hopefully did it right. The propeller wasn’t spinning as much as i thought it should. No lights came on the tiller handle. Is that normal?

If the motor was in neutral, the prop should not turn. Sometimes, they might turn a little is the shift is out of adjustment.

If it does not turn when in gear, then there could be a shift linkage adjustment issue, something wrong with the lower unit, or the prop.

As for the lights....you said no lights came on in the tiller handle.

Since your serial number starts with BAZL, that puts in somewhere between 1995 and 1999. The tiller handles in that timeframe did not have warning lights in the handle....they were in the lower cover. Therefore, someone may have retrofitted a more current arm to a remote model. So, there could be a wiring issue or possibly as compatibility problem.

If the lights are working and you have good oil pressure, the green light should come on while the motor is running to indicate good oil pressure. The only other light that you would have is the red overheat. The red will only come on if you have an overheat.

Sounds like the motor is new to you. If you are running the motor on a hose, besides using the standard earmuffs on the two water intakes, be sure to tape up the third water intake located above the propeller with duct tape. Otherwise, you could overheat the engine or mess up the impeller.

Mike

Mike.

Thank Your you for your response. You are very helpful.
I chaned the gear oil. Seemed a tad milky. Where do they generally leak from?
also behind the thruster nut on the prop shaft there is a rubber seal pealing in the inside. Is that a hard fix?

The hard part is determining where the water is lemgetting in.

If you see damage at the prop shaft seal, that is a very common place where fishing line, etc gets wrapped and cuts into the seal. There are actually two seals, there. There is an o ring around the prop shaft carrier, seal at the shift shaft and seals below the water pump. Any or all of those could be the problem. Believe it or not, the most common is either bad washers under the drain/fill plugs or sometimes even double washers.

Most mechanics will apply a small amount of pressure (approx 7 or 8 psi) to pressurize the gear case and put the gear case in a tub of water and look for bubbles to isolate the location of the leak. If no tub, then a soapy water mix sometimes works

To change the seals in the prop shaft, there are hack ways to do it, but the proper way is to remove the propshaft carrier; pull the prop shaft from the carrier; then pry out the seals. They are installed back to back.

Getting the holder out is generally the most difficult of the process. You would need a special sprocket tool to remove the ring nut that holds it in. Then you need a puller of some sort to pull it out. It will not come out by just pulling it by hand.

The process gets more complicated if the motor has been in salt water. That ring nut becomes "one" with the gear case, and sometimes you have to chisel it out.

There are some other posts about the trials and tribulations of the process on this forum. I will provide a link if I find them.

Mike

Back