Logo

Honda BF50 low idle when hot

Christian72

Hello,

I went out for the first time and when I got back to the harbour, the idle rpm dropped to 500 and was stalling, while it was around 1000rpm when I left, cold.

Also, when adjusting the idle screw, I noticed some water in the compartment, see image. Might not be related as the rubber was not sealed correctly at that location.

Any thoughts?

Thanks '

IMG_20230721_225748.jpg

Water not an issue.
Maybe let the motor warm up a little better and try setting the idle mixture screws then.

Depending on motor/conditions, I most often end up 2.5- 3t.

I work on all sorts of the older, along with some not so old. I generally try to leave them reliable, whatever it takes. I don't like worry about them quitting when put in gear. Not a fisherman, so I just don't care how slow it'll go....

Some will do a nice down to 750-800 rpm, some seem to work better 900-950.

If it's an '08, it's fuel injected...... with no ability to be adjusted much.....

More likely possibly, is it' a little older, with a "Meets **** EPA Restrictions" sticker on it?

Just checked again: 2007 BF50a.
That works. '07 was the year they switched from carbs (a motors) to F.I. (D motors) so both were in the pipeline. F.I. is really nice, until it isn't. '07 carbs are nice, but because of the auto choke, can be a plumber's nightmare. Make SURE you keep plenty of fuel treatment in that motor (Stabil for me). Cleaning that top carb can be VERY difficult.... even for "factory" trained techs......

Quick update: idle is now at around 1800 at start, then drops to 1200 after a few minutes and after an hour semi-intense use to 1000. Looks ok. Also checked the oil; no signs of water in it. Thanks.

Back