Logo

Honda BF5 with charge coil or without

richard3642

please can anyone help

The Honda BF5 basically comes in 2 variations one with and one without a 3 amp charge coil.

Can anyone please explain... what is the function of the "3amp charge coil option" on the BF5 motor.

Sorry if this seems an obvious question i am new to the whole boating thing

Thanks Richard

The BF5's come new without any charge coil. It is an option that can be added. It provides 3.75 amps of charging for a battery that you may have on board that runs lights or other equipment. The kit includes two coils, a regulator, plug and new flywheel. http://marine.honda.com/pdf/accessories/ml.rerap45a.MAC_Charging_Kits.pdf

I generally tell customers to assume it is a trickle charge. It has to be running pretty fast for the full 3.75 amps. You have to have a battery for the voltage regulator to put out any voltage. It runs about $200 plus installation.

Just an additional note....not sure what year you are looking at...the real old 5 HPs that were marked BF50 had optional charging systems without a regulator. It could actually run some lights directly from the engine without the battery (no regulator).

Mike

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hi Mike

Thank you for our reply, its much aprreciated,

I am looking at a brand new motor, and am trying to decide which one to buy. If I take the one with the charge coil option then I guess all the flywheel, reg, leads etc are pre fitted and all I have to do is get a battery and hook it up ? is that right ?

If i do just need a battery what size in mAh would you recommed getting? am i right in thinking the smaller the better in terms of staying charged ?

Thanks again for your reply

Richard, if it were me I'd get a lawn mower or motorcycle battery. That's enough to run a stern or bow lights - without adding too much weight to the boat. The lamp coil could keep it charged.

A lawn mower or motorcycle battery would work. I like the bigger the better(personal preference), depending on the room you have. A lot depends on what you will be powering up (how much current draw) and how long you will be powering them up without running the motor. The larger the battery, the longer you can go without a recharge. Even though the motor may not completely recharge it, you can top it off at home.

Trying not to get too technical....most nav lights will pull less than .8amps. So if you have 2 bulbs each drawing .8 amps(totaling 1.6amp) on for one hour, you would have to run your motor probably about 1/2 throttle (to generate about 1.6 to 2 amps) for one hour to recharge the battery.

Mike

Back