Logo

Honda BF40a Controls and Wiring Harness Redo

RJSMI

Hello. I need some help identifying the correct parts needed for a controls and wiring harness redo on my pontoon. I have a 2001 Sweetwater Pontoon with a Honda BF40a. I have owned it for about 8 years now. About 3 years ago I started having intermittent issues with battery drain but could not locate the source. Shortly after that I started having intermittent issues with the low oil pressure/over-temp warning buzzer going off but could never find any reason for it. In August, I lost ignition and all power at the helm (I did have power at the tilt on the engine). In addition, my throttle and shift cables have cracks in their sheathing and shifting was becoming difficult. To top it all off, over the last several weeks, a mouse decided to make a nest in my podium and made a meal out of the sheathing on a portion of the wiring harness. All this aside, for it's age, the boat and motor are in great condition and when these issues do not present, it runs great.

I decided to try to tackle the cables and see if a new ignition switch would take care of the power loss at the helm. In attempting to find the appropriate replacement parts, I found that I have a bit of an odd setup. While I have the Honda engine, my controls box is a Mercury. Everything seems to have originally been set up for a Mercury. I know that my current setup is as it was when the pontoon originally left the dealership, so I am assuming the pontoon was outfitted with a Mercury when built, but the original purchaser insisted on having a Honda.

Anyway, considering everything, I have decided that my future life with this pontoon will be much better if I do away with all the Mercury stuff and replace it with the correct Honda controls, switches and wiring. I have been researching to find all of the correct items that I will need but am having difficulty with that and hope that someone can help. Note that this is an 18 foot pontoon (current cables are 15 footers) with top mount controls and separate ignition and kill switch. The engine PIN is BAYS-3210214 and serial number is BAYE-2006192.

> Control Box - I believe the correct unit is 06240-ZW5-U40.
> Wiring Harness - It appears that the wiring harness I need is 32205-ZY6-020AH, but I would like that confirmed?
> Ignition switch - It appears that there is an integrated assembly that includes the ignition, kill switch and warning lights. This would be perfect as my current ignition is mounted directly above the kill switch. What is the part number for the appropriate assembly? I believe that should come with a harness and the warning buzzer, is that correct?
> Control Cables - I am thinking I will go with the Pro-X cables (24915-ZY3-7100). Is that the correct P/N?

Any help with these part numbers would be much appreciated. Is there anything else that I will need?

Thanks!
Roy

Last edited:
Hi all. Checking back on my original post to see if someone can help me with part numbers. I am trying to confirm the part numbers for the proper control box, cables,
wiring harness and ignition switch for my 2001 BF40a (details and reason for this can be found in my original post). I have done a lot of research to track these down but it is not real straight forward and I am unsure of some of the part numbers that I have found. Any help with this would be appreciated. Here is a list of what I need and the part numbers I have found thus far:
> Control Box (top mount) - I believe the correct unit is 06240-ZW5-U40.
> Wiring Harness - It appears that the wiring harness I need is 32205-ZY6-020AH, but I would like that confirmed?
> Ignition switch w/integrated kill switch and warning lights - What is the part number for the appropriate assembly? I believe that should come with a harness and the warning buzzer, is that correct?
> Control Cables (15ft) - I am thinking I will go with the Pro-X cables (24915-ZY3-7100). Is that the correct P/N?
Thanks!

Back