Logo

Honda BF20D Power lift not working

turns

I have a 3 year old Honda BF20D, with electric power lift. When using it for the first time this season, the power lift does not lift the engine up. The motor runs (different sound for each direction), but no movement. If I raise the outboard by lifting manually, the hydraulic ram is fully attached; but on letting go the ram retracts. Maybe pressure not holding? Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like your manual tilt valve screw has backed off or, you have lost a good deal of hydraulic fluid. If you are lifting it manually without backing out the manual valve, it is one or the other. The motor should not tilt by hand OR tilt back down with gravity if the manual valve is locked.

Let's hope it is a loose valve. Look on the starboard side of the motor bracket and locate the manual valve on the unit and make sure it is locked down tight by using a screwdriver and tightening to the right. Just next to the manual tilt valve is the oil drain screw for the tilt unit and you can use the same screwdriver to make sure that the drain screw is also tight.

If both of these are already tight, then you will probably need to have the tilt unit looked at by someone that knows what he is doing unless you have a shop manual and above average mechanical ability. These are sensitive little hydraulic pumps and are NASTY expensive to replace. The parts ain't cheap either!

TIP O THE WEEK for all tilt/trim owners: The seal where the two electrical wires enter the tilt/trim unit can fail and allow water intrusion into the tilt motor. Prevent this little disaster by going to the local parts store and buying some OXYGEN SENSOR SAFE silicon sealer/gasket maker. I prefer RIGHT STUFF by LOCTITE. Goop and press a generous helping on the outside of this seal and ALLOW TO CURE 24 hours before moving wires or motor.

Yeah, I've had two recent tilt motor failures on my 20 D's and that's what caused both. I had one a while back for the same, so I know it's a problem. Luckily, good ol' Honda supplies the parts needed for a quick and relatively inexpensive repair.

Now, to take my own advice and ACTUALLY make time to seal the rest of the fleet!

jgmo,

I have a Honda 20 and I'm going to get some of that and do mine. Thanks for the tip!! Guess I'll put it on my Honda 150 too while I'm at it.

Back