Logo

HONDA BF15A not ejecting water at high rpm

dwilly94

Hi Forum,
I'm obviously having issues and I wouldn't be posting had I not found a forum that fixed my problem already.

I took my boat with a Honda BF15A on a 4 day Eastern Sierra trout trip. On my third day we were on a bigger lake (Crowley) and I was able to open up the throttle a little bit. When I did so, the pee hole stopped ejecting water. When I would stop, water would start spewing out everywhere and it would start steaming all over. I cleared the pee hole and there was nothing blocking the line. The only time it would stop spitting was at high rpm. I don't have a tac to put on it to tell you exactly how many rpm's it would stop at.

None of the marine shops in the city I live in are worth a rats ass so i've gone to inter webs.

Thanks in advance.

johnnygjr:
I replaced it in February. There were lots of bits of plastic lodged all over in the system. I cleaned them out as best I could.

I talked to a honda service mechanic today. I've used this motor in salt. I never knew how poor of quality the aluminum in the block was until today. He said my exhaust could be leaking causing a blockage of air in the water system due to salt corrosion.

Clearing that tube is a waste of time. Take the fitting that the tube connects to out of the engine block and run the engine IN A TRASHCAN FULL OF WATER. NO RABBIT EARS!. If you run it in a trashcan you get a REAL indication of how the pump is working. If it is pumping at high efficiency, any debris trapped in the tell tale bypass has a very good chance of being dislodged and ejected from the engine block with the fitting removed.

Johnnyjgr asks a good question. How long since the pump was replaced? If you don't know,can't remember or it's been 2 years or more, the it is time.

Back