Logo

Honda Bf15a no spark please help

Fishassassin

Purchased a 1999 honda Bf15a No has no spark.

When i I got it home it would not start. I fiddled with the wires and I fired up and purred like a kitten. Tried to fire it up today no luck. Put it on a stand and now I'm scratching my head.

Good compression has fuel. Confirmed that there is no spark has brand-new coil, cleaned terminals on Cam pully, has green oil light, cleaned all wired connections and seem good no corrosion.

Cdi? Rectifier? I'm pulling my hair out

I have an ohms meter but not sure what to test. Any help would be much appreciated thanks Andrew

Make sure kill switch yoke is firmly in place. If that doesn't help, then disconnect the kill switch wires and see if that works.

What wires did you fiddle with to get it started the first time? I would go back there and look very carefully at everything in that area.

These twin cylinder engines vibrate a lot and, over time, plug in connections can work loose. Check the CDI connector by unplugging it and looking at each female connection for any that may have spread apart and aren't grabbing the male pin or blade (whichever yours has) tight enough. The blade type female terminals can usually be sqeezed for a snug fit pretty easily.

Pin type "sockets" sometimes have to be released from the connector housing to tighten them up without ruining them.

Anyplace you see a single wire terminate to the case or engine block, that is a ground. Take those off, shine up the ring and attachment bolt as well as the pad the ring sets on. This ensures rock solid electrical connection for those.

It does sound as if this is a connection or wiring deficiency. Look for wires and wire terminals that exhibit a green discoloring. That would be copper sulphate and indicates corrosion at that point. If you see it on the end of a wire, peel back the insulation an inch or so to see if it continues up the wire. If it does, the entire wire should be replaced.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Back