Logo

Honda BF135HP 2015

Mr-G

Hi
New here from the U.K.

I was trolling around for an hour and decided to move to another area. I increased rpm steadily upto 3800rpm after a couple of minutes the alarm started bleeping intermittently. All rpm's dropped to idle the red light came on the control box. The engine didnt miss or cut out. The motor idled smoothly. I turned the engine off to silence the alarm. I left it a few minutes and re-started the motor with no issues no red light and no alarms...I slowly increased power upto 3800rpm. After a few minutes it all happened again.
I stripped the fuel filters to check for water and all was clean. The fuel was fresh on that day.

I've since had a diagnostic done. Which returns an error with the Electronic Air Control valve. Or the 'Idle' IAC valve. I'm wondering if the IAC would cause the issue? Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks 😊

Hello Mr-G.

I honestly don't know but, I suppose, anything is possible with FREEDA (Flippin' Rediculously Expensive Electrical Device Attached) bolted on.

This "symptom" sounds more to me like an overheat alarm being triggered with the engine going into protection or "guardian" mode and de-rating power to "limp home". I could definitely be wrong though. Often am.

We've seen this sort of aggravation here recently, albeit on the 60 hp models, with the on board water separator going bad. Item 2 in the link below.
With Honda's limited (should I say flawed?) warning system, it seems as if the water separator "alert" may have been "piggybacked" onto the overheat warning by the code writers. I don't know.

There have been a couple of cases where replacing the faulty separator cured the issue. But....take that with a grain of salt.

You might try simply unplugging the water separator to see if that makes a difference.

The IAC code may, in fact, be an indication of an issue with the valve sticking. Those can sometimes be CAREFULLY cleaned but you must know that mishandling one can permanently ruin it.

The last thing I'll mention is what you said about "fresh fuel" on board. With the vagaries of today's supply sources (or lack therof) I wouldn't put a lot of faith in anything "fresh". Look at that very carefully.

Good luck.

Hello Mr-G.

I honestly don't know but, I suppose, anything is possible with FREEDA (Flippin' Rediculously Expensive Electrical Device Attached) bolted on.

This "symptom" sounds more to me like an overheat alarm being triggered with the engine going into protection or "guardian" mode and de-rating power to "limp home". I could definitely be wrong though. Often am.

We've seen this sort of aggravation here recently, albeit on the 60 hp models, with the on board water separator going bad. Item 2 in the link below.
With Honda's limited (should I say flawed?) warning system, it seems as if the water separator "alert" may have been "piggybacked" onto the overheat warning by the code writers. I don't know.

There have been a couple of cases where replacing the faulty separator cured the issue. But....take that with a grain of salt.

You might try simply unplugging the water separator to see if that makes a difference.

The IAC code may, in fact, be an indication of an issue with the valve sticking. Those can sometimes be CAREFULLY cleaned but you must know that mishandling one can permanently ruin it.

The last thing I'll mention is what you said about "fresh fuel" on board. With the vagaries of today's supply sources (or lack therof) I wouldn't put a lot of faith in anything "fresh". Look at that very carefully.

Good luck.
Thank you for a detailed response 👍

However the engine wasn't overheating. The diagnostic report was pointing towards the IAC. I did take it off but all looked nice and clean and the little mesh pot was spotless. As for the internals unfortunately you can't see inside. I did turn on the key whilst the IAC was plugged in..the result was 1 click and stop..should it do a full open close procedure? Or several clicks or so.

Thanks

I can't answer your IAC question.

But please know that I wasn't implying that there is an overheat condition. I was trying to point out that we've seen overheat alarms AND power reduction associated with faulty on board water separators.

Good luck.

I can't answer your IAC question.

But please know that I wasn't implying that there is an overheat condition. I was trying to point out that we've seen overheat alarms AND power reduction associated with faulty on board water separators.

Good luck.
Thank you 😊

Back