Logo

Honda BF135 Salt Crystals in Thermostat

BJL

I operate my Honda BF135 in salt water and flush the motor for approximately 30 minutes with fresh
water with the motor running at idle speed after each use. I flush through the foot of the motor and not the factory hose connection.
Why the build up of salt crystals in the thermostats?

I am not sure it can be avoided. I have tried everything, but I think the issue might be the time from when I pull my boat out of the water to the time I start to flush is usually an hour. Salt must start to crystalize within that time period. I am thinking of adding a hot water spigot outside so I can flush with warmer water to see if that helps flush the salt out.

Put it in a large barrel and add a gallon of saltaway and run it for 1/2 hour or so. See if that helps how old are the thermostats? Possibly it is running a little hot?

Yeah, it's a hassle for everyone. The problem is that it's mostly happening while the engine is running. Minerals in solution with water tend to fall out of solution when heated and presented with an opportunity to "plate out" on surfaces they can adhere to. Apparently, salt just loves to attach itself to cast aluminum.

Like Crunchy suggests, it's just something you have to deal with.
Kimcrwbr1 is probably right too in that more heat likely makes the problem worse. Salt away or white vinegar and water is all I know of that helps get rid of it without damaging the metal.

Good luck with it.

You think flushing with warm water will make the problem worse? I thought it might help break down some of the salt deposits.

No Crunchy21,
I meant running the engine with a "hot" thermostat. Above the 170 to 190 max "operating" temps. normally seen in outboards. I was just agreeing with what kimcrwbar1 said.

I don't think warm or even hot water would cause mineral dropout while flushing. Not sure if it would help much either. I don't think it would hurt to give it a try though.

If you do try it and it helps, no one could argue with it, that's for sure!

Good luck

I just know when there are alot of minerals in a domestic hot water heater on a well the heat causes them to crystalize salt water is chock full of other minerals as well.

Using normal water pressure, I don't think flushing on the 200/225 get to the thermostats. One of these days, I plan to actually test that.

Back