Logo

Honda BF100L compression

flyguild

Just got engine back, all the problems I had ie: hard to start, poor spark, no power etc. turned out to be a hairline crack in one spark plug.
Was very surprised when the shop bill was only $90 tax in, 3/4 hour labour $15 platinum NGK plugs.
The compression was 135 lbs per cylinder, does anyone know what the right compression for a BF100 should be?

Book says 151 at 600 rpm. They may not have opened up the throttle all the way when they were testing. Not easy to do without disconnecting a linkage.

I do not understand the platinum plugs though. The book says to use NGK DR5HS.

Mike

Got to agree with Hondadude- Never had any luck with platinum plugs- I serviced all the honda rental motors from Lake Siskiyou Resort for almost 10 years and none of them got new plugs for the 5 years previous - so took some convincing- to let me start putting in plugs at the end of the season. By far the most bullet proof rental motor out there. Some of our engines were 1980 75's, and 82 15's. Been in constant rental service with out problems- well we did lose a cam on a 15 on a houseboat- but thats another story.

Ditto on the best rental motors. That's what I do...well...did...might not go back. But anyway, The company I contract with ran 'em all at one time or another and the Hondas hold up the best in the slam bam thank you ma'am rental biz hands down. With the Johnson 4 stroke coming in a distant second.

Back