Logo

Honda BF 250 engine light and beeping

Jobyc

I have owned this boat since February. Did full service including impellers and thermostat. Was having intermittent beeping and engine light but now starts after 30 seconds of starting. Pulled codes and got one short engine light four long followed by one short. Can’t figure out what that code is from the page I found online. Any ideas?

You have code 14 and 1. Clear the codes and see what comes back. 14 is Idle air control valve and 1 is O2 sensor. Also check for water in fuel

Ian - I think Jobyc is indicating a code 1 and a code 41.

Code 1 is a disconnected HO2 sensor, short or open circuit on the sensor circuit of the HO2, faulty HO2 sensor circuit, OR A MISFIRING SPARK PLUG.

Code 41 is a disconnected HO2 sensor, short or open circuit on the heater circuit of the HO2 sensor, faulty HO2 heater circuit, OR A MISFIRING SPARK PLUG.

So basically, it's telling you that both the HO2 sensor circuit and the HO2 heater circuits are having a problem, or you have a misfiring spark plug.

First thing to do is unplug the HO2 sensor and check the pins for corrosion or a pin recessed, and check the wiring to and from the plug. If nothing there, pull the plugs and see if one or more is super clean, indicating that undetonated fuel has cleaned off any carbon or residue. If neither indicate a problem, replace the HO2 sensor.

Yes. HO2 stands for heated oxygen sensor. The sensor is heated to about 600 degrees F at start up.

There are no stupid questions when it comes to marine engines.

Ian - I think Jobyc is indicating a code 1 and a code 41.

Code 1 is a disconnected HO2 sensor, short or open circuit on the sensor circuit of the HO2, faulty HO2 sensor circuit, OR A MISFIRING SPARK PLUG.

Code 41 is a disconnected HO2 sensor, short or open circuit on the heater circuit of the HO2 sensor, faulty HO2 heater circuit, OR A MISFIRING SPARK PLUG.

So basically, it's telling you that both the HO2 sensor circuit and the HO2 heater circuits are having a problem, or you have a misfiring spark plug.

First thing to do is unplug the HO2 sensor and check the pins for corrosion or a pin recessed, and check the wiring to and from the plug. If nothing there, pull the plugs and see if one or more is super clean, indicating that undetonated fuel has cleaned off any carbon or residue. If neither indicate a problem, replace the HO2 sensor.
You're probably right mate, I read it as one short 4 long, space one. But looking at the chart you are probably right. I haven't used that method for years since we have DrH. Thanks for pointing it out, you're onto it. :)

I want to thank you guys very much. Checked misfire and plugs. Cleared codes had an H02 sensor express shipped both aftermarket and OEM. Replaced the sensor after running it at the dock for 20 minutes, water tested and no alarms. Running a charter tomorrow so back in business. Couldn’t have done it without your advice! Much appreciated

Glad it worked out for you. This forum is probably the most useful one on the internet. Personally, it has saved me many thousands of dollars. It seems that all of the folks on this forum really like to help their fellow boaters.

Back