Logo

Honda B100 lose of power

natgeo

Hello everybody,
sorry to bother you. I am writing to you because I have 2 Honda outboard motors ( bf10 and b100) and I have the same issue on boths motors and maybe you can help me.
When I test them without the engine cover, the motors work flawlessly, the throttle, the power, everything is perfect. But, when I put the engine cover on, the motor loses power and turns off.
I've changed the pipe gasket, the grommer rod and the carb but I still have the problem.
Any idea?
Thank you in advance.
Best Regards
Ignacio

When you say "I've changed the pipe gasket" what pipe? Please be more specific.

These outboards are famous for developing an exhaust leak due to a failed gasket and that causes the engine to lose power with the hood on because it cannot get enough fresh air. Take the hood off it runs fine.

But, to replace the exhaust pipe gasket (three bolts), you must remove the powerhead from the oil case. Did you do that?

If not then that is what you probably need to do.

The pipe and gasket are shown on pages 52 & 53 of the shop manual.

Last edited:
Hi jgmo!!
And thanks for your help!!
I have changed the GROMMET, ROD 24313-921-003 and the GASKET, EX. PIPE. To do this, as you said, i removed the powerhead from the oil case and Ive changed the oil pain gastket too...
So, as you can see, i am a little bit lost...
Is there anyway to check if i have a gas leak without the engine cover?
Once again, thank you!
Best!!
Ignacio

Hi Ignacio,

After thinking about it a bit I wonder if it might have something to do with the crankcase breather system? If it's got problems it could cause stalling...I think.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...l-1500000/starter-case-cam-pulley-pulser-coil

The breather hoses (24, 25 and 26 in link above) could be cracked, hard or missing. Those hoses, along with the one going to the intake manifold, could allow excess vapor to flood the engine compartment. That could starve the carburetor of fresh air when the hood is on.

If you haven't explored that yet it might be the next place to investigate.

I'll keep thinking about it and try to come up with ideas for you.

Good luck.

Hi Ignacio,

Just wondering also if you inspected the exhaust plate and seal band at the bottom of the oil case when you had things torn down? Items 3 and 4 in the link below.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...500001-to-b100s-1600000/oil-case-engine-cover

My thought is that if the plate or seal was damaged or loose in some way, that might let enough exhaust back up into the engine compartment and prevent fresh air from entering.

Good luck.

Strange you have this same problem on 2 outboards at once? Is the air intake blocked by some kind of nest?

Back