Logo

Honda 90 four won't start

toon guy

Got a Honda 90hp four stroke that got hot and quit running. Is there a sensor that caused it to quit or did it just get to hot and quit?

Hi,

What is the year of your outboard?
Carburetors or fuel injected?
Do you have a fully wired remote control?
People trying to help might need that info.

I don't know specifically but, to my knowledge, Honda has been using engine protection for pretty much all outboards made from the 1990's on and before that on many models.

However, the system is supposed to sound an alarm, light a warning lamp and then step down power in increments before shut down in the case of overheat. And, in many cases I've read about here, the system will reset when the key is cycled and the engine will restart even if only for a short time before alarming and depowering again.

For low oil pressure it allows the engine to continue to run in a limp home, greatly reduced power mode.

As with anything electronic though, the system may have malfunctioned for some reason.

Does the engine crank ok? If so,.that might be a good sign for you.

Sorry you're having troubles.

Thanks, guys, for the response. It's on a boat that I'm looking to purchase and I'm trying to find out more info from the owners. So far all I've gotten is "it won't start". The picture of boat and motor, it's silver and says "FOUR" on the side. I know that doesn't help much.

I have a chance to buy a motor that is just like it but has low compression om one cylinder. I'm not a boat mechanic if it was a car engine I might think it was a head gasket but boat motors (?).

I'll keep the thread up to date as I find out more info. Thanks again, toon guy

OK got the boat and motor the motor turns over and try's to start, have to charge battery. Every thing is hooked up and from what the guy told me it gave the warning and went down to low power, he got it back to the dock put it in the trailer took it home then got ill so he never had time to check it out. I'm working alone and don't have a compression gauge that will screw into the spark plug holes. Also can't check for spark because the controls are so far away, obviously.

Well,
You can troubleshoot alone by turning the key switch to the "run" or on position and then jumping the starter solenoid. Have you ever jumped a starter that way?

Ok...yeah....pretty much the same.

If you have a Harbor Freight you can get to they have a compression tester that's not too much $$ but you might need to snag an adapter with the right diameter and thread from an auto parts store. It ain't Snap-On or Blue Point but it will work.
I would pick up the cheap spark tester they sell too. Those work well if you hook it to a GOOD grounding spot.

If you find that she's got spark, I recommend propane for supplying alternate fuel. You can pipe it in via a rubber tube on a plumber's torch snaked up inside the intake muffler housing.
Way safer for the engine than screwing around with ether. And, since it's "stoiciometric" and not explosive, you'll get a much better assessment of what's up with the engine's health.
Just be aware the gas will "pool" because it's heavier than air. Doing that outside is best.
Your choice.

Good luck.

Well BAD news not sure it can be fixed or worth it, compression, 75, 50, 25, 50 top to bottom. I was told to use it for an anchor. Too bad

Back