Logo

Honda 9.9D no spark

Tiki91

Replaced the cdi box ,exciter coil, ign coil and pulsar coil on my 9.9 D from a running motor and still no spark as well as disconnecting the kill switch.the ohm reads we’re all in spec.as well as dva readings on the exciter coil were the same on both getting 58 volts.one motor runs the other still no spark.what to check next? The manual has no dva specs.this motor just died on the water and would not start again.

Hi,
I assume this and your parts motor are both pull start models?

Anyway......

You don't mention the pulse coil generator located under the cam pulley. You might as well swap that out too and try it if you haven't already.

Good luck.

Hi,
I assume this and your parts motor are both pull start models?

Anyway......

You don't mention the pulse coil generator located under the cam pulley. You might as well swap that out too and try it if you haven't already.

Good luck.
Yes they are both pull start 2002 do they have one under the cam pulley on that model?

Ok, my mistake then. I've never replaced one.

But, to be clear, you replaced item #1 in the link below?

If so, that pretty much covers all the parts. Although, did you move the flywheel over from your parts motor when you swapped out the coils?

Besides that, all that's left is the wiring and connectors and associated ground connections. You're probably going to have to go point to point to find the poor connection and/or possibly load test individual wires. Tedious work but might be the answer.

Please update with what you find.

Good luck.

Yeah, I think you have a unique problem that probably involves a bad wire or corroded connection.

For instance: you have voltage going to ignition coil but is the coil primary ground side circuit reliably connected? That sort of stuff.

I don't know if that pulsar generator has to have an external ground but, if it does, that would be through the mounting bolts. So, it might be worth your while to make sure the mount holes are clean and the bolt threads aren't rusted.

I'm looking into how that "set plate" is supposed to be adjusted but, if you've got the manual, you could see if you can look that up too.

Also, don't rely on Ohms testing to find a bad wire. Too easy to be misled. Wiring must be load tested to find excessive resistance. I use a sealed beam headlamp and 12v lawn tractor battery for that. That way you can isolate the wire from the system for testing.

Good luck.

Back