Logo

Honda 9.9 Overheating Continued from April 7

perryrlund

I posted a thread on April 7 regarding my 2014 Honda 9.9 overheating. Thanks to Jgmo, ChrisHading, william01 for your answers. I took it apart and there was no issue with the waterpum impeller or the thermostat. I ordered a new water pump kit, thermostat plugs, oil, lower unit lube and am doing a whole service routine. I've done everything but naturally, the water pump kit is on backorder. I ordered everything through my Honda dealer and wanted to make sure I have all original Honda parts going back in.

As I did everything I had to do except the water pump, I had it sitting on the bench so I decided to do a dry run with the old water pump assembly for a practice run so I should have no problems installing the new one. I put the impeller in the water pump liner and slid the water pump liner down the shaft onto the spline. At that point I noticed the water pump liner was not fitting tight within the impeller housing. I never changed a water pump on an outboard before but this did not seem right. I inspected the water pump liner and it has the two bosses on top that I assume are suppose to engage inside the impeller housing to lock it in place and then the impeller spins inside the water pump liner. One of the bosses was sticking up at a 90 degree angle and the other one was bent flat. I'm assuming this is not correct, that they are both suppose to be at 90 degree angles. On the old water pump liner I bent the flat one upright and it now fits tight in the impeller housing.

As the water pump assembly is on back order, I don't have a water pump liner in hand to compare it to but can someone answer if both of these bosses are suppose to be at 90 degrees so it sits tight in the impeller housing and then when the shaft turns, only the impeller turns and the water pump liner stays stationary inside the impeller housing and does not turn.

If this is so, any opinion as why this happened? My only though would be somehow the spline got dislodged and caused the issue but the water pump liner and everything was in perfect condition. Nothing at all was damaged, it looked as new as the day it left the factory. There was no event that occurred, the water pump was working fine this spring and then it just stopped and then when I did some jocking with it I could get it to pee a little bit and at times there was a full stream and then it would stop. The only thing I can think of that makes sense is somehow the spline came loose and when this occurred the water pump liner was spinning on the shaft with the impeller and was not doing much of any thing but peeing a little water at times. The channel in the impeller for the spline is in perfect condition as well, it's not tore up in any way.

This one has me scratching my head and I would appreciate any input from the experts. I'm pretty good with mechanics but this is my first water pump experience and it's been anything but by the book. Thanks for any help you can give.

You are correct, those two tabs on the metal liner stick up vertically and engage the plastic cover.

I don't know how the one would get flattened out like that but when someone's pet gorilla does the assembly I guess anything might happen.
Your description of what that likely caused I would also agree with.
Carefully inspect the drive key and the mainshaft flat area to make sure no damage was done there.
Hopefully not. The new kit should fix the problem.

Boats.net shows the kit to be in stock....
Item 4 in link

Good luck

You are correct, those two tabs on the metal liner stick up vertically and engage the plastic cover.

I don't know how the one would get flattened out like that but when someone's pet gorilla does the assembly I guess anything might happen.
Carefully inspect the drive key and the mainshaft flat area to make sure no damage was done there.

Item 4 in link

Good luck now, I probably should have went on line with this one.

Item 4 in link

Good luck

Item 4 in link

Good luck
Thanks for the quick reply. With your input, I'm positive this was the issue. The shaft and spline look factory new so there was absolutely no evidence that there even should have been an issue. I was looking at ordering everything on line but I like to shop local when possible so I got everything through the local Honda dealer. Going on 3 weeks now for the water pump, I probably should have ordered that on line given the amount of time but when I ordered it the ETA was two days. Go figure. Thanks again for all of your help. This is great forum for the Honda people.

Just one question on putting the water pump back together. I see they say to coat the inside of the housing and the impeller with a little bit of marine grease. They don't say anything about the housing bolts. When I took them out I could see that there was some factory grease on all the threads. Is it recommended to put a little marine grease on these threads as well? Any other tips on installing the water pump kit that I might have overlooked. Thanks again.

Perry

The bolts don't need grease but smear the grease inside the liner where the vanes will wipe and put a little on each vane arm end for good measure.

Grease the outside of the liner so it will stick in the housing. Put the impeller in the liner while turning it counter clockwise. Make sure the key slot's open end faces you so it will accept the key when you slide it down the shaft.

Center the impeller in the liner.

Try to avoid getting grease in the impeller drive slot. Put a little grease on the key "foot" to hold on to the shaft.
Doing this in the sun or on a hot day makes the grease "runny" and less sticky. That can drive you nutz.

The key can be easily "tipped over" or pushed out when sliding things together so watch out for that.

Line up the impeller key slot with the key and carefully slide the pump down the shaft to engage the key.

When you tighten the bolts, do it in a criss-cross pattern and a little at a time. That keeps any warpage from taking place. Do not overtighten!

Check that the water tube grommet is in good shape and pay close attention that the tube goes back up into the block properly when installing the gearcase.

Tighten the gearcase bolts gradually, in a criss-cross pattern and don't over torque.

It's been awhile for me so I hope I didn't miss something.

Good luck.

Back