Logo

Honda 225 cover won't seat correctly

bigfoot3

Contributing Member
I have twin 2006 225 hondas. No problem getting the starboard engine cover on and off. The port cover has been finicky.. I would have to try a few times to get it to snap into place when putting it back on, but now it won't go on correctly - it is like one of the spring loaded catches near the back of the engine is not engaging.
anyone else face this problem? The cover looks like it is in good position but if you try to raise the back end of it up, it will life about 1/2" up on that side.
I tried lubricating everything

If the latches appear to be opening and closing properly when you activate the cover release on the front of the engine, then adjust the pins that go into the latches by simply screwing them up and down to get them to seal properly. If the latches do not open and close properly, then adjust the cables to the latches so that they do. That is all covered in the shop manual - chapter 4.

If the latches appear to be opening and closing properly when you activate the cover release on the front of the engine, then adjust the pins that go into the latches by simply screwing them up and down to get them to seal properly. If the latches do not open and close properly, then adjust the cables to the latches so that they do. That is all covered in the shop manual - chapter 4.

I have the Selec Book... and it doesn't say how to adjust the pins and latches.. can you explain how it is adjusted? Maybe post the page from the manual? Which manual do you use?

I'm sorry, but the Seloc book is entirely worthless. The pins screw in and out. The latch openings are controlled by cables that can be adjusted with the adjustment bolts on the end of each cable.

I'm sorry, but the Seloc book is entirely worthless. The pins screw in and out. The latch openings are controlled by cables that can be adjusted with the adjustment bolts on the end of each cable.
I agree - that manual is a waste. Which one do you like?
How do you know how much to move the pin in or out - is there a measurment?

I usually adjust mine just until it takes a little downward force on the cowling to compress the seal. Not sure if there is a measurement since some seals may compress more than others, or a new seal might not compress as much as an older one. On mine, i usually hear one click when the forward 2 latches engage, then press down on the cowling above the rear latches and hear one click when each one of those engage. For me, it's a trial and error method to get the right adjustment.

Be sure those cables on the cowling are actually opening and closing down. One of my cables had been pushed out (probably from previous owner or mechanic) removing the cowl at an angle and bending that cable out. You may need to adjust that cable and make sure it actually opens and closes the catches for the pins on the cowling cover.

That rubber seal around the cowling could also be worn and you may need to adjust the pins on the cowling to make it seat correctly. Its a lot of trial and error.

Will try that and see. i can hear the two front pins latching and the rear right as well, but the rear left pin is not latching and i'm pressing down on it hard so the pin might need to me screwed out some more.

Back