Logo

Honda 2016 BF60 stalls

kelsielee

We just purchased a surtees with a BF60 outboard, had been sitting for 2 years so went straight to the dealer for flushing and servicing.
Replaced fuel pump and apparently ok. Also checked ECU, determined not faulty.
We picked it up today, took it for a test run and it ran fine at 5 knots, ok at half throttle in choppy conditions. Sat idle for a bit then went to take off slowly and motor died. Restarted ran for 20 secs died again. Etc etc, timing between dying was different each time nursing it back to the ramp.
Has Under floor fuel tank, primer bulb is new but doesn't want to refill easily.
Any ideas before we take it back tomorrow morning. BTW they had it for a week in the shop already

Any alarm?

Could be fuel tank or line issue, first thing I’d do is run it off a portable tank with a good primer bulb and clean gas.

If your boat has an in line fuel water separator, I’d empty that into a clean clear container and check for water and dirt, even if it was just changed.

Agree with NSDON...run it on a portable fuel tank set up first and see if things improve.

This sounds to me like there may have been sediment/crud in the on board tank and getting it out jostling in the chop has stirred all that up. I'm surprised your shop didn't suggest, up front, that the tank be emptied and cleaned. Who knows these days though?

If so, that's not good news for your new pump...or filters...or, possibly, fuel injectors.

Everything may survive ok if you get to flushing NOW including the VST. But replace the filters at a minimum no matter what.

Almost all injectors have little protective screens inside them that can get clogged up in a scenario like this. If you continue to have issues, the injectors may need to be removed, serviced or replaced.

But, hopefully anyway, the filters caught most of what's harmful. That's why they're there.

Good luck.

Back