Logo

High Exhaust Temp Resolved

chuckhanson

Regular Contributor
There has been so much written here about overheating exhaust. The exhaust on my starboard engine has been gradually creeping up over the last few months. the port exhaust of this engine was running 130 degrees and the starboard side was running 160 degrees. I thought it time to do something about it so I installed my new spare. To my amazment it fixed the problem. Both exhaust are running at 119 degrees measured at the hottest spot on the elbow.

I could tell the difference in the water flow by the sound of the exhaust. Looking at the flow it appeared to be twice as much. I didn't take the trouble to measure the flow because the issue is resolved.

It sure is nice when things turn out good. The Charlie Ann has been in fresh water all of her 26 years. The trouble with the pump was that the sand in the Mississippi River over the years just ate up the wear plates. A new impeller did not make any difference in the flow. I like having a new spare.

Chuck Hanson

There has been so much written here about overheating exhaust. The exhaust on my starboard engine has been gradually creeping up over the last few months. the port exhaust of this engine was running 130 degrees and the starboard side was running 160 degrees. I thought it time to do something about it so I installed my new spare. To my amazment it fixed the problem. Both exhaust are running at 119 degrees measured at the hottest spot on the elbow.

I could tell the difference in the water flow by the sound of the exhaust. Looking at the flow it appeared to be twice as much. I didn't take the trouble to measure the flow because the issue is resolved.

It sure is nice when things turn out good. The Charlie Ann has been in fresh water all of her 26 years. The trouble with the pump was that the sand in the Mississippi River over the years just ate up the wear plates. A new impeller did not make any difference in the flow. I like having a new spare.

Chuck Hanson

Excellent; more pump = more water = less temp and less steam!
ps; It would be nice to know the worn items on the old pump. Maybe cam or scored cover?

I didn't take the trouble to measure the flow because the issue is resolved.

chuck:

good job on the fix.

Actually, this is the Best time to do those actual measurements. Things are "just right" and if you collect that data now, you can always measure it again and be able to assess the health of your cooling system. Just food for thought.

It is a good thought and I will make plans to do it next time I go to the boat. With everything getting fixed on the boat, I am looking for things to do.

Chuck Hanson

Back