Logo

High altitude

tp2gam

Outboard is a 1988 Black Max 200 HP 2-stroke serial number 0B304145 took it out for my first time today and it will not accelerate it lugs and dies, idles perfectly
we idled around for about an hour and a half using 6 gallons of fuel. I know the fuel fitting at the tank does not have a perfect seal and have ordered replacement. I also think perhaps it is the altitude we are at 6500' would this cause the acceleration issue?? Also I cannot find the number stamped on top of the top carb flange which is WH 374-5427-C in the book for jet sizing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Outboard is a 1988 Black Max 200 HP 2-stroke serial number 0B304145 took it out for my first time today and it will not accelerate it lugs and dies, idles perfectly
we idled around for about an hour and a half using 6 gallons of fuel. I know the fuel fitting at the tank does not have a perfect seal and have ordered replacement. I also think perhaps it is the altitude we are at 6500' would this cause the acceleration issue?? Also I cannot find the number stamped on top of the top carb flange which is WH 374-5427-C in the book for jet sizing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry the number on top of the top carb flange is WH 1374-5427-C

If it has the factory jetting, it will be too fat at 6500' altitude...the factory service manual will tell you what changes to make...

I have already ordered the replacement jets but being somewhat of an oldschool automotive mechanic it doesn't seem to me that the jets should cause this acceleration issue. I hope it is just sucking to much air at the bad fuel can connection.

Jetting wont cause this..just be lazy on top end
That's what I thought however I can't get beyond a fast idle it just stumbles and die's like it's starving for fuel I'm thinking sucking in air with fuel or improper float adjustment. What do you think ?

That's what I thought however I can't get beyond a fast idle it just stumbles and die's like it's starving for fuel I'm thinking sucking in air with fuel or improper float adjustment. What do you think ?
When running on muffs in neutral it rev's up just fine but not with a load on it.

I have a 1978 Black Max 200hp 2 stroke and live at 7000'. I just got it and have only had it out twice before having engine issues. I have made a lot of repairs and deferred maintenance and will take it out this weekend to test it. High hopes it will finally run well. I'm also interested in any answers for help running this engine at high elevation. My issue is that I plan to be running it on several different lakes here in Arizona and the elevation will range from 7000' all the way down to 1000'. So I'm wondering how to deal with that regarding changing and maintaining the proper jets.

Thanks in advance to all you boating veterans for help on this issue.

Back